Solar Panels Again

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 1st Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

More and more vegan wines are becoming available, there's a winery near us called Stump Gully, all their wines are vegan. Most beers are vegan and pretty much all spirits are.

On the cheese issue, speaking from personal experience, cheese was the single thing that I "worried" about giving up I loved cheese, masses of it of all types. It was the only thing I craved when I turned. I craved it for maybe 4 to 6 weeks, after that the cravings passed and it's now something I cant even stand the smell of.

If I smell meat cooking I do still like the smell, don;t get me wring, I don't miss the meat or the eating of it, but I do like the smell. If I smell cheese melting or being warmed up it ctually turns my stomach, and this is coming from someone that would literally take a block of strong cheddar and burn in a frying pan to blacken it!

The absolute biggest eye opener for me has been how my taste buds changed after maybe 4 to 6 weeks. What once felt like bland food becomes so rich and varied when the overpowering taste of meat and dairy has gone. You become able to pick out all the subtleties in the flavors of all the different ingredients in your food, it's quite amazing. My dinner plates these days are so vibrant in colour, texture and tastes I love sitting down to my lunch & dinner more than ever,

Again though, most people will read that as vegan propaganda, all I can say is I was that person, the thought of going vegan was so far removed from my radar as to be ridiculous. I was the original vegan basher, trotting out all the same comments as any one else yet, for some reason, something changed and it was profound.

I have to say though, I was pretty, shall we say, gassy... for 4-6 weeks until the gut microbiome adjusted and the meat eating bacteria died off while the vegggie eating bacteria multiplied. After maybe 6 weeks all was well in the world again and you could breathe in the house without a gas mask.

Lizzie and MTR like this.
  2. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

Probably something in that - as per my post above; I think humans are designed to function mostly on a plant-based diet.

MTR and Propagate like this.
  3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Wanted to read about solar panels, suddenly everyone is talking about their eating habits :rolleyes:

What happened to the solar panels ... :eek:

kierank likes this.
  4. Kelvin Cunnington

We ate them. :D

5. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Yeah, a lot of the sustainability threads end up this way. Better get back on topic before the thread gets closed.

Should have our first full months bill since the home install of 10.2kw in a couple f weeks, be interesting to see how much it has reduced, particularity as we haven't seen much sun yet this month.

6. Kelvin Cunnington

How many panels does it take for 10.2kw?

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We have averaged 50% off out electricity bills

We were paying around $700 every 3 months, now around $350

We could improve on this if we were more strategic

Kelvin Cunnington likes this.
  8. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

It's interesting that you think all livestock beasts would simply stop mating (one of the most core desires at the essence of any creature is the continuation of it's type) should we no longer make them. Have you seen those wild rabbits out there? They mate like....... well rabbits :).

Yeah I eat more vegies and a few vegan meals, I am not against vegan food at all and both my wife and I were disappointed when the place up the road from us (Mandala vegan restaurant) closed down. Once I hit 40 the portion size of meat reduced and the portion size of veg increased, my dad is the same and so is my brother. I like a good 200 - 250 gram steak every now and then (like every couple of weeks) but that really is enough for me, other than that it is usually chicken or seafood. Not sure what causes this but loads of my friends around this age noticed the same thing.

I don't kid myself into that at all, I just understand how it works and still decide to eat meat. I am comfortable with my choice and I have no problem with those who choose a different choice.

That's great and I am happy for you that your choice works for you, mine also works for me. I have bloods every 6 months, PET scans every 12 and various other stuff done to me every 24 and I am also healthier than I have ever been, Living my best life you could say :).

I have to disagree with you on this one, I mean anything I have said about the vegan army has very clearly been in jest and my posts have had praise for people who make these choices, it's just not my choice. I come from a place where I am free to make my choices, I respect other peoples right to the very same.

Outside of me referring to just me in this conversation, alternative food choices isn't a discussion that really seems to trigger anyone on this forum, but then I think there are quite a large number of Veg / Vegan on here :).

And if your lentils are bland, you aint doin it right, cook up some Rasam Dal which is something we eat one every couple of weeks being half Indian :).

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I love my curries

Cant beat a good vindaloo

10. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Everyone is a hypocrite in their own right. Some of my hypocrisy is feeding my cats meat while being vegetarian.

11. Dan Donoghue

Really? I asked you a genuine question and you think I am an internet troll? I am sure you have seen enough of my posts to understand I have passionate discussions but I never post just to trigger people.

I am disappointed that you would take it this way as I was genuinely enjoying our discussion.

12. Dan Donoghue

I can send you my family curry (not a vindaloo though) recipe if you are keen to have a go :)

MTR and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  13. Kelvin Cunnington

That is not being hypocritical.
    Cats are carnivores.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I've given up trying to get through to some others about this issue. Whenever contrary views about the increasing trend are raised those who do so do not provide proof the data is incorrect.

Feynman provided a succinct method of approaching that but doubters don't apply it.

15. Dan Donoghue

My mates daughter had terrible eczema issues as a kid, nothing worked and the poor kid always suffered, when she got a little older she read some things on vegetarian then vegan lifestyle so decided to give it a go. Her issues are completely gone. I don't know what it is that causes it but when she reintroduces even the smallest amount of dairy it comes back.

MTR likes this.
  16. Dan Donoghue

Getting back to the solar panels.

Does anyone know how much roof space is required for modern solar panels? If I wanted to run a 15 KW system how much space would I need (Or how many modern panels).

17. Kelvin Cunnington

It works both ways.
    I asked for anyone to answer temp drops on a graph that was posted to support temp rises, and no-one has even attempted to reply (incorrect topic for this thread notwithstanding). Why would noone want to explain the temp drops to support their case?

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We average around 75% off ours - we also have a battery - but remember that everything (normal stuff plus water, septic, irrigation) is moved around by electricity.

Can't half tell the dull days, and the days we have the aircon going as it hits near 40

Screenshot (50).png

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2019
    Kelvin Cunnington and MTR like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thats excellent

Stoffo and Lizzie like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Depends on the quality of the panels. The higher quality panels are 3x more expensive, but around 1/2 the size, of the cheaper ones

Was listening to this on the radio this morning - the kind of thing that gets me excited :D

As home solar increases, the grid is becoming an antiquated technology. So what will replace it?

"In the northern Victorian town of Yackandandah, the community is building three microgrid networks in its bid to become 100 per cent renewable."

"Monash University was able to deploy some of the world's leading microgrid technologies, to showcase to others what Australia's smart cities could look like."

Angel and Dan Donoghue like this.