Solar Panel investment

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by hillsguy, 22nd Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Hi Folks, looking to invest in solar panels but have a few questions and looking for help.

The challenge I have is that I have a SolarHart Hot Water Tank with 2 panels in the middle of the roof that needs to be removed to fit new solar system.

Question(s) -

Does it make sense to remove a SolarHart and fit a new electric tank that will be powered by new Solar system
    or
    Does it make sense to simply switch to gas ?

Appreciate any input / thoughts.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• Is it an IP? (If no, do whatever you like).
    • Has the unit failed/become unreliable?
    • What incentives are available? (are there incentives if you already have solar??)
    • Do you have the required gas pipework in the location you want to install the new unit?
    • Is ground storage feasible (rather than on the roof)?

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As per @Scott No Mates , but also
    The panels could be installed to either side of the hot water system.

Do you have off peak electric boost for your solar hot water ?

Your fridge, hot water and AC consume the most power usually, so doing away with the solar hot water will increase your electricity consumption on cloudy days/over winter !

Converting to gas would mean an additional supply charge (unless you already have it) and additional installation costs.

When after dinner you shower and use the hot water is it dark ? Because good luck getting the solar to heat the water at night...

4. hillsguy

5. hillsguy

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

What actual size and type of system are you considering ?
    (If there isn't space either side of the solar hot water it cant be very big)
    Payback in 3 years, bahhhaaa (get that in writting with a guarantee ! )

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

These cut my power bill by 75%
    From $3,200pa down to $800pa
    So on average a $2,400pa saving
    After rebates out of pocket cost was $12,000 (5kw, Tindo panels with micro inverters over several roof pitches, this allows us to use generated power all day)
    So 5+ years to get my "investment" back
    ($12,000 invested wisely could have been a better choice)
    Solar panels are a choice, not really an investment!

Attached Files:

8. hillsguy

Here is what's been offered ...

Cost $11K.

Attached Files:

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Not a bad system and yes 39 panels will take up a bit of roof space.

The amount of savings will depend on how much you change your electricity usage habits as you need to change some ingrained habits to get the most out of it. If you work long hours and aren't home during daylight hours then it can be hard to get the most out of it
    - run HWS booster during daylight
    - run dishwashers/washing machines during daylight
    - run dryer (if you have one) during daylight

I have issues with the predictive modelling that show that much of a savings. For example many people will run air conditioning at night during summer and most will use more than $19 of electricity in summer.

Stoffo likes this.
  10. womble66

womble66 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you can install >5kw system? Many distributors have a limit on size per phase so I can only assume you already have 3 phase installed. So what is you consumption across the phases and can you offset across all phases or is your energy draw unevenly distributed.

The data in the JPG is marketing BS because it's based on you consuming total the production therefore saving $0.25-$0-30/kw where in reality on a system of 12kw will likely produce much more than you consume and therefore you will be exporting the majority of production at a much lower FIT, closer to $0.10-$0.15/kw.

As stated above payback will be closer to 5-6 years.

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Yes, most people forget to change their habits..
    Though if your HWS is on off peak meter it makes no difference on a standard install, as this is a seperate meter (that counts use).
    My neighbor got solar panels, he was advised to "use the power as he wouldn't get much for feed in", his first bill was double of normal use !!!!!
    Turns out he went and set the pool timer to run 12 hours a day.........
    Back when we actually had a few months of rain, so he was importing only due to cloud cover .
    Need to work at making it work for you ;)

Westminster likes this.
  12. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

20% return per annum, very low risk, and tax free (so equivalent to 30% return for many of us) if you can beat that return with a 'wise investment' I for one would like to know what that wise investment looks like.

spludgey likes this.
  13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I don't disagree
    My point is, the problem with calling it an investment is that is that the return isn't realized.
    On a ppor it isn't like most people are taking that cash "saving" each bill and putting it off the mortgage or into a savings account !
    In reality it just free's up more disposable income.
    This is why people complain when the inverter packs up and they're hit with a bill far larger than they have ever seen, because they haven't budgeted for it (saved).....

14. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if distance from your house to meter is critical? We're moving soon, the meter is at the drive entrance, the house is about 100 meters away. Does the inverter need it's own feed into the meter or does it patch in the the trip switch board at the house?

I'm really keen to install panel but if I have to trench and cable 100m from the house to the meter it may become too costly.

Cheers.

15. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

In this case there should be a final sub circuit panel somewhere in or near the house. Ie. Circuit breaker panel. The solar fitment would route to that, with its own circuits. The main meter may need an upgrade but the wiring between meter & circuit panel can run power in either direction. ( in simple terms)

My setup is similar but the distance is shorter. End result was no additional wiring required between meter & circuit panel.

One issue you may have is voltage. Solar inverters operate in fixed voltage ranges so you'll need to check the house voltage versus inverter specs.

Propagate likes this.
  16. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Not realized? Ahh, which side of the ledger it falls doesn't determine realization.... if your living expenses are reduced to zero, that's as real as if your income increases to match those same expenses.

Julian likes this.
  17. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

You will have a voltage drop in the cable. Having the meter far from the house, means that you'll be paying for this unfortunately, rather than the network provider, which would be the case if it was located at the house. Shouldn't be too significant though, a few percent increased consumption, most likely.

You'll need a meter that can do imports and exports. If you've got a smart meter, you'll likely be fine. If you don't, you might need to upgrade it. If you upgrade it, see if it can be relocated to the house.

Propagate likes this.
  18. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's a smart meter from what I remember when I had a peak.

19. marksmith

marksmith New Member

Hi @hillsguy, what actual size and type of system are you considering?

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Mar, 2019
  20. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Bringing this one back.
    I am not sure I would do any solar PV again
    The government have really dropped the ball regarding solar power.
    As an example:
    You decide you want solar electricity
    You go to Google and do you reasearch and decide on a good system and pay over market rate per kw for a name brand and good reviews
    You pay Wheatbricks solar for a 5kw system after rebate, they keep the solar credits (REC's) so the advertised price is lower.
    On the appointed day Wheatbricks arrive and install the system (as a subbie)
    3 weeks later you have roof leaks due to poor sealing, but after 3 weeks and hours making phone calls it is fixed.
    All is great then until 3 years later when your power bill arrives showing at 18 times the last bill.
    You try to call Wheatbricks Solar and they are disconnected.
    Back to Google and you find they went into receivership 6 months ago, you have been "orphaned" !
    Yet the add for solar in your browser also shows Wheetbrix pty ltd, operating from the same address as Wheatbricks Solar did.......... This is "Phoenixing" , where a company is wound up to avoid their warranty commitments, yet opens new the nex day !

You like many many Australian's have been ripped off.......
    The government got their 10% gst and import duties