Solar for valuation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ko Ko Naing, 1st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Does anyone here experience an increase in value over putting up Solar system on a PPOR? Does it work with bank valuation?

Thanks!

2. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

Mmm...not sure about this. It might add a couple of grand (depending on total kW's of system) but I do know that it makes a significant impact on the Depreciation Schedules for IP's.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

More recent systems like a stored Tesla powerwall battery may be more advantage and add better value v's a old style panel systems since the panel system "sells" the produced energy back to grid which rebates the electricity use. The battery systems use the solar generated power and store it for self consumption before using the grid. ie you save dollar for dollar rather than cents in the dollar.

My PM reckons solar systems are just a add on if you sell and may convince a buyer but wont mean a higher price. Doesn't improve rental income at all. A Tesla system may appeal to a tenant (higher rent ?) or owner occupier.

4. Ko Ko Naing

So there is no need to add value with solar, in order to achieve at least $2 with every $1 like kitchen or bathroom. Do you reckon?

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Did you hear that from somewhere? I've never heard of a solar system being a value add multiplier.

6. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Depends on how much you pay for the system. If you went nuts and put in $20k worth of system and a Tesla Powerwall you would loose? A $3k 4kw system, small gain? I have solar installed on all my houses. For three reasons, tenant appeal, depreciation and resale value. In that order. By the time solar rebates dry up battery storage systems will be more affordable. Now THERE'S a business opportunity.

7. Ko Ko Naing

I didn't hear it from anywhere. I'm just after members experience on it. That's all. I will have to put it in my low priority list, it seems.

8. Ko Ko Naing

So if anyone stumble across the topic around solar and adding value just for valuation purpose, we can conclude here that it's not that worth it. :)

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Now that the higher tariff feed in rate is not passed on to the new owner, solar is not as attractive to buyers as it used to be when the high rate came with it. In Qld, other states may be different.
    Marg

10. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

i dont see houses selling for any more with solar than without in a lot of markets, doubt valuers adjust for them either. AND thats if you get a good valuer!! My experience with valuers i would say it would be a huge gamble. I was told by a valuer recently that outdoor kitchen/ bbq area they tend to add value for those - which i thought was interesting.

Ko Ko Naing likes this.