So you sell an ip & make some money .. Then what?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by D'Mo, 2nd Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We are selling everything for gains and continuing with buys in better markets

Last edited: 4th Oct, 2015
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

good call as always......Seech:)

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

My advice would be to not rush into this. And think how is the best way to minimise your tax, pain and get your desired answer of less payments.

You can't move into something at the end of owning it to make it CGT free - only the portion ie the months at the end will be CGT free, the rest will have CGT on it.

The property that you did live in at the beginning then rented out you may be able to claim as your PPOR and have it CGT free if you rented the whole time.

You really need to talk to an accountant and get some advice on this

4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We make profits , we pay tax .

Hard to get around that .
    Am aware of tax free status of PPOR. Been thinking about it for a while

I have discussed it with our accountant .

Cliff

MTR likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Paying tax in the right structure can help, pay no more than 30%.
    Someone told me if you are paying tax means you are making money?? you making a profit.:) Not a bad way to go when everything starts going pear shaped.

So you sell prior to peak maximising returns, or you hold through boom/bust cycles holding 7-10 years ouch, paying holding/interest costs while properties go backwards. Do the sums????

Last edited: 4th Oct, 2015
  6. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I sold one in July when my asking price was accepted, mainly to edge my bets against price falls as I have 4 other properties in that location and half my capital. With the Apra rules I cant access my equity, The CG is useless if you cant use it. I can maintain my loan limit and take the I cash will probably put it in the share market. On Friday I decided to put another property on the market for a month, as it became vacant, and at the moment the market is very strong for that type of property (lower end) and while it was one of my best yielders it is now one of the worst. It is 7 years old served its purpose and I got good depreciation benefits, and after another lease it may not look so new any-more and need some painting and sprucing up, if I delay selling it and probably have cooler market and be harder to sell. I would prefer to buy in a tightly held, better area target different tenants and get higher yields if/when the opportunity arises and the figures stack up and am prepared to wait years. The servicability rules have changed every thing. You have to have money available for when those rare opportunities arise.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

when markets are turning it ain't a bad thing

8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

The great thing about properties is that they create money and money is freedom to be used how it would benefit your life best - you choose.

Finrod and MTR like this.