Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

So, what's your purpose?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ZephG, 24th Aug, 2016.

1. ZephG

ZephG Member

Hello, all!

I landed at this forum by way of Google Airways and all I can say is... wow!
    Besides now feeling inspired to run a marathon in a straightjacket, swim in an active volcano and learn how to speak fluent dog, I am honestly astounded at the generosity and wealth of knowledge hanging around in this forum.
    Point being, you all help each other make the seemingly impossible - possible. I wish I could thank each of you personally for doing so, Australian comradery at it's finest.

My property IQ has more than doubled over the last 48 hours, and whilst my brain has swollen to potentially lethal levels, I'm eager to meet as many of you as I can.

(Zeph, tell us something about yourself)

26yrs on planet earth and somehow conjured up the intestinal fortitude to climb on to the property ladder at 18, miraculously I have not fallen off since (golf clap for me).
    Three property transactions and a two-year sabbatical later, I am ready to delve back into property investment by way of renovating/subdividing in South East Queensland.

Whilst I can talk the leg off a chair without much trouble (in a philosophical way), I do have two questions for those who wish to answer:

1. What do the fruits of property investment bring you personally? i.e more time with others?
    2. What's the one piece of advice you would tell your 18yr old self?

My answers:

1. More time - to me it far outweighs anything else, to have the freedom to spend it with my Border Collie (Domino), travel, learn and to teach others is paramount.
    2. Be okay with fear - complete inaction can often be more detrimental than the 'wrong' action.

Thank you all for reading this post, I look forward to reading your responses.

Regards,

Zeph

2. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

HI Zeph,

Welcome and I hope you find lots or great stuff hear to help you out along the way. I am sure everyone on here still learns something on a regular basis.

Mick

ZephG likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

Welcome Zeph

My advice - network, network and network

MTR

ZephG and Colin Rice like this.
  4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Australia Wide Business Member

@ZephG - loved your write up and style, it made me smile.

1. What do the fruits of property investment bring you personally? i.e more time with others?

Freedom and liberty.

Get started now.

ZephG likes this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

Hey Zeph,

Love your intro! Welcome to PC :)

MTR and ZephG like this.
  6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

@ZephG - you win "intro of the year"! Welcome, I can see you'll be a great addition to the forum.

1. What do the fruits of property investment bring you personally?
    Time, growth, choices.

Think bigger and curate your friends/acquaintances strategically.

ZephG likes this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@ZephG, welcome to PC.

I am more than twice your age but I don't have twice your knowledge, wisdom nor experience!!!

Ability and capability to do whatever I want, whenever I want, however I want, ... Running a business and/or working is for mugs, once you achieve financial freedom.

Don't do tomorrow what you should have done yesterday

Gockie and ZephG like this.
  8. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member Premium Member

Doesn't give us more time or anything like that even though we got more money now than we need.
    Didn't get rich from property, but it was a good motivator to build a portfolio.
    Just provides a good growing asset base and source of cashflow for when we stop working.

Get more exposed to life experiences, still applies now more than 20 years later, have hardly experienced anything yet.

legallyblonde and ZephG like this.
  9. Mitesh Dedhia

Mitesh Dedhia Well-Known Member Business Member

Welcome and nice intro....

Became an entrepreneur from an employee and now Monday is Funday

Get into personal development, listen to Jim Rohn, Bob Proctor (how the mind works), Les Brown, Brian Tracy...

MTR and ZephG like this.
  10. ZephG

ZephG Member

Thank you for your replies! I'm enjoying reading your responses and meeting you all!

Hi Mick,

Thank you for the welcoming message. Knowledge equals potential power and execution of knowledge equals power.
    Thank you MTR, you're 100% correct. Your network is your net worth.

Thank you, Colin, I think it's always worth to be 100% yourself as opposed to 50% of someone else. Great advice too, the best time to plant a tree is now, not tomorrow.

Hi Jess, thank you for the praise! Pleased to meet you!

Steven, an honour to meet you and thank you for your comment. I look forward to hearing/reading more from you in time.

Kieran, you're 21 with 50+ years of experience! We're all here to learn from each other regardless of where we are along the path of life. We're all on a level playing field here and I want to teach others and learn from others as best as I can. We were given one mouth and two ears, we can listen twice as much as we can talk ;)

Thanks, Ace! I appreciate your honesty and from what I gather, you've got plenty of things to look forward to experiencing and that makes the future even more exciting.

inspiredbyprop, MTR and kierank like this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hey @ZephG welcome aboard.
    Which areas did you start investing in?

ZephG likes this.
  12. ZephG

ZephG Member

Hi @Azazel, thank you for your message.
    I started my apprenticeship in the coal mines in the Hunter Valley NSW. Being a rather poor apprentice at the time, I bought into the local area as it was a start. Through extensive renovation, I was able to utilise the equity gain to purchase a block of land and turn it into a dual occupancy. Was going to build on it, however, the coal mines took a turn for the worse (no longer feasible) and I sold it for a small profit to a local developer.
    Shortly thereafter, I sold my original house and purchased a townhouse on the Gold Coast and moved there. After making some minor improvements, I have just sold that for a great return, now planning to crack into the Brisbane market as that has been in my sights for quite a while.
    Started out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but a burning desire and a crappy '89 Toyota Camry, now finally stepping into a market with better prospects.

We all had to start somewhere.

Gockie and MTR like this.
  13. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I'm really relieved and thankful that I had the idea to work towards financial freedom in the first place (that was my purpose). I didn't realise it would ever happen to me but over the last 18months or so I reached the point where I couldn't stand being at work anymore. That's despite having quite a nice job, that's interesting, varied and pays quite well. I've always had mostly great colleagues.

I didn't think I'd ever reach this point but now that I have I see people all around me at work who are equally not interested and just going through the motions. So short answer is that I can just walk away, choose to work when I want to and do something else when I don't want to work. Simple as that, but not so simple for the others I see who didn't work out a plan for themselves earlier on.

ZephG and EN710 like this.
  14. ZephG

ZephG Member

@ellejay Reading that resonates with me on a multitude of levels. A lot of people, as unfortunate as it is, don't realise a lot more can be had out of life other than just 'working'.
    If the work you do is aligned with your core values and you truly enjoy what you do, I commend you. However, this isn't the case for many people out there - fact.
    The best we can do is to share insight to those who need it most and help them realise there are other ways to create a fulfilled life - instead of renting our life out for an hourly rate.

ellejay likes this.
  15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@ellejay my future in wanting to work is looking grim if you get sick of working despite what sounds to be great :eek: already feeling tired every now and then to be honest o_O

Great work on getting there by the way :)

ellejay and ZephG like this.
  16. Player

Player Well-Known Member

@ZephG that's quite an elevator pitch you opened with. :)

1. Freedom. Everything boils down to this. Freedom buys back time, provides choices and peace of mind. Without the latter, life doesn't have much flavour.

2. Oh wow. My 18 year old self would be nearly 1/3 my current age :oops: My advice would be to ignore the naysayers and detach from their good opinion. Find a way to resolve or go around the obstacles that may present on the journey.

legallyblonde and ZephG like this.
  17. ZephG

ZephG Member

@EN710 As they say, no one ever gets to their deathbed and says "Gee, I wish I'd worked more". It is more the complete opposite, they wished they'd spent more time with others and doing things for themselves.

Personally, I've followed 'the rocking chair' theory since a young age; when I'm old and less physically abled, will I look back and be happy with the life I lived? Will I have given everything the best shot? Will I feel like I fulfilled my true desires?

Hence why I quit working two years ago, not once have I regretted taking such audacious action. Do I have plans on ever returning to a day job? Absolutely not!

EN710 and ellejay like this.
  18. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Keep an eye out for the next Gold Coast or Brisbane meet up and we can have a chat in person. They're always fun :)

ZephG likes this.
  19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Welcome to the site,and it would also pay to read the old site,as most social media networks present information that people like to read,in sites like this one there is a balance..

Well done on what you have done so far,but as you will find over time,and this is a quote from a book..
    You have a real life if and only if do not compete with anyone in any of your pursuits,and the only real measure of success is how much time you have to kill..

ZephG likes this.
  20. ZephG

ZephG Member

@Steven Ryan Will be keeping a close eye on any events nearby, how often do they normally occur? Once a month or sporadically?