So what will happen to modern apartments in 30-40 years?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by poby, 3rd Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NadiaHsu

NadiaHsu New Member

After reading all the replies, I think I will give up the idea of purchasing an apartment...

i’d rather buy a house/townhouse far away from Sydney’s CBD and take more time in commuting.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If comparing a new house / townhouse in one of the new outer suburbs, vs a unit in a brick 6 pack in an established suburb?
    Probably choose the latter.

Scorpion likes this.
  3. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

That's what I rented (corner apartment, 3 levels from the top, north & east aspect). Brutal north westerly winds blow across our balcony at times. It's about a 50-50 chance of being able to dine out there during summer (sometimes it's dead still). We nearly lost the glass top to our outdoor bar table (a hefty piece of glass) due to wind, which would have caused significant damage and or injury/death if the wind took it over the edge. I won't make that mistake again. But the times we can use the balcony it's amazing and I love the apartment

The Y-man and Robbo80 like this.
  4. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    I love my 3 bedroom ground floor unit. PPOR for now, will be an IP soon enough

- 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, albeit small at 85 sqm
    - 3 level walk up, 60s double red brick
    - 6 units
    - low strata fees, low CAPEX
    - 85 sqm courtyard
    - 500m walk to the beach
    - 500m walk to express bus to CBD
    - relatively open plan, open plan living plus small dining. Part of the kitchen looks out on to living
    - windows on 3 sides capturing cool breeze in summer, no need for aircon

Same as you, I was interested in buying in a certain area and wanted a house or townhouse but couldn't afford it. Wanted a useable outdoor space so settled on a ground floor unit with courtyard. Wouldn't look back

Shazz@ likes this.
  5. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

During an pandemic like Covid, there are cases in other parts of the world where the virus spread through such ducted ventilation. As it is forced ventilation if someone on the ground floor is a super-spreader, then through the air the virus will be distributed. The whole block affected. :(

Last edited: 7th Dec, 2020
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's exhaust, it doesn't provide ventilation into the apartment, it cannot introduce air only suck it into the duct.

On the other hand, a ventilation system, such as air conditioning running off central plant and common supply air ductwork may allow viruses to spread throughout a building if the quality of filtration and fresh air/makeup air is inadequate.

7. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    I place great value on having windows to both of my bathrooms

Not quite an essential requirement for all purchases but close to, especially for PPOR

8. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

So you are saying natural ventilation via windows and doors are important.. please tell more developers that :p

But yes corner apartments with windows in all bedrooms and living areas are definitely doing better than others :)

9. Scott No Mates

Tell purchasers that if they want inefficient floor plans with bathroom/ensuite windows on external walls that they will need to pay more to accommodate these things.

Which is more unpalatable to a buyer - higher price or internal bathrooms?

Robbo80 likes this.
  10. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I know there are a few academically-minded on PC. These two articles make interesting read. Just read the introduction and conclusion if you want a quick understanding, pictures too.

Stack effect: Predictions and measurements of the stack effect on indoor airborne virus transmission in a high-rise hospital building - ScienceDirect

The importance of windows/doors ventilation: Effects of ventilation on the indoor spread of COVID-19 | Journal of Fluid Mechanics | Cambridge Core

Last edited: 8th Dec, 2020
    Player likes this.
  11. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

They'll no longer be new, facilities will be old, and who would want to live in them unless they're part of a major complex like Shangri La or Ritz Carlton

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

State Library of Victoria, Access from home, Log in

Aerosol transmission through the drains - much less likely here coz we have traps .... I think.... I hope....

The Y-man

13. ches

ches Active Member

I always prefer a top floor apartment because of the noise of someone living above you - footsteps, toys dropping on floor, high heels, marbles being dropped (I don't know why but it always sounds like marbles being dropped). Heat is an issue - so I would go for something with good cross ventilation, sheltered balcony (or ability to add a vergola or something) and a good aircon unit.

Citycat88 likes this.
  14. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

During WFH, I have a tenant complained about the upper floor resident doing aerobics at home. Apparently the person is not a light-weighted person so he said it felt like a piling machine working late at night, couple with the loud and fast music. But we have possums doing the same in our roof at times :D

15. Scott No Mates

Who do you complain to?

16. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

When they finished the mating process, they quiet down. :D