So tell me is this a PM'S job?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by chezryl, 4th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chezryl

chezryl Member

Hi! So we get told me need tiling done in thr bathroom and steps on the house. The manager puts in work orders for these things. The handyman say they can do it so the property manager tells me I will.need to sourcemy own contractors. Isn't that what we have PM'S for. If not let me know cause I need to know either way.

Thanks!

2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

What does your management agreement say?

Previously, have you been happy with the PM's quotes or not really?

This sounds like it could be a costly amount of work, does the PM know this and thus why suggested you organise your choice of materials, contractor, etc, direct with whoever, save for the PM being the middle person which just makes everything take longer and frustrates both yourself and the contractor from the constant back n fourth?

As a side example, a property I manage had extensive storm damage, the quantum of the repairs was around $80k, the Owner handled it all including the insurance claim, I said I would not project manage this for them. IMO, anything that is over a few thousands dollars and is not just a straight forward single/simple item, such as 'new carpets' or 'interior repaint same colour scheme', the Owner should really be involved with it all.

3. chezryl

chezryl Member

Thanks .To be honest my husband works in construction and has been a handy man in the past. Perhaps we will make the long trip there and just fix it ourselves. I wouldn't have thought a set of stairs would be so difficult. Ahh! Everything always just seems to difficult for this property manager.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many PMs have "handypersons" on call but when it comes to licensed trades and bigger scope of works they seek to allow the owner to get quotes etc as its slow and costly and ardous and inevitably you will argue with them about the cost or the type of fix and want other quotes or query them the whole way. Or the final result etc

Engaging a PM doesnt mean they do all things for you. They usually will assist with providing keys etc and "may"check finished work. Discuss with them.