So maybe money does make you happier?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by gman65, 26th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Well, by winning the lottery at least..

Money really does lead to a more satisfying life

I always thought the saying "money doesn't buy you happiness" is just something said by poor people to make themselves feel better about themselves :p

luckyone likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Surprise surprise

luckyone likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

According to the article money may buy you satisfaction (rather than happiness).

Interesting to see that winners don’t tend to spend all their winnings and many stay working.

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Also amazing how many lottery winners end up bankrupt after a short time also

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Money gives you options. I don't know anyone not happier to have more options available to them in life. Those who say otherwise are lying to themselves.

luckyone likes this.
  6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Most people for sure, but not everyone.

My dad never dealt well with having lots of money. He'd get sttessed,.make poor decisions and get into trouble.

He genuinely was much happier broke.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

He's a rarity.

8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Depends on the number of options, too many and you get confusions and unhappy peeps with buyers remorse :p

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yet to experience that:p

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I’ll ponder on that when I am sitting in my business class flight next week.....
    Marg

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Aren't you spoilt:p

Marg4000 likes this.
  12. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Its a matter of finding the right balance in life.
    And having money certainly helps .
    Having lots of money wont necessary make you happy , and for some its all about just making more , and more and they never really enjoy their wealth.

13. PaulB

PaulB Well-Known Member

As long as the earning of it doesn't kill you, and you can handle the management of it!
    We're all just trying to buy our ticket out of the rat race and we each get to decide how much our personal ticket has to cost.
    If money can do that then I suppose it can make you happy in a 'means to an end' kind of way!

14. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I don't think more money per sei makes you more happy... it depends on your ability to manage it. Cite many examples of people winning the lottery and ending up worse than they started.... with nothing left and withdrawls from having nice things

Mindset is important and being able to embrace the responsibility of managing money is key. It is all about being able to balance that responsibility. Once things scale and become big from a business / investment perspective it becomes more complex and adds stress. This can be counter productive to making you happy so its key to balance, otherwise you will be equally miserable but wealthier.

edit: my observation... my friends I grew up with say "mo money mo problems" and the status quo never evolved. The successful people I know are generally always looking for opportunities to work harder and advance their position. I think the difference in the latter is what they do is born of passion and gives them energy, the mindset of success.

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

This not what the study found at all. In fact it seems that it’s a myth that most people blow their winnings.

It’s worth reading the full article.

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Of course having money makes you happier.

Sure, having money won’t eliminate all problems in your life, but it does give you more options to deal with them.

Money won’t buy you good health, but it will buy you the very best treatment or therapies available.

Having money eliminates the common stressors of outstanding bills or paying the mortgage (if you have one).

As the old saying goes, “I’ve been poor and I’ve been rich - and I know which I prefer”!
    Marg

17. Danny370z

Danny370z Well-Known Member

If you cant manage your money before you win the lotto then it doesn't matter how much you win, in the end you will end up broke again...

Stoffo and Phar Lap like this.
  18. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

I think happiness comes from contemptment, money give you options but I seen lot of happy people without a lot of money and I guess I learn a few tricks from these folks.
    One you have enough more money don't think make you any happier.

I don't think an extra few millions will make me any happier.
    I am happy with my life, in good health, healthy family, get to do simple things in life, be at a Sunday market or riding bikes or just lazy around the garden and systematically stay away from stressful job, I refused a few jobs with more money but I know would cause me headache and stress etc...

I am contempt with what I got and I work to protect that not for more money, I obviously invest to grow my capital based to have more options but I don't get into situation where it cause me stress because I want more and more money.

19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't know. Technically I am still part of the rat race I guess but I don't feel like I am. I guess because I feel like I play life by my rules. I am happy with what I have and don't strive for more for the sake of it. For example, my most recent project was a new build, mostly because I have always wanted to build. Although frustrating at times I have enjoyed this project and learned heaps! At completion I will have increased my assets and income.

I have bought heaps of projects using money. Money can't buy happiness but it can buy good projects and they make me happy :)

20. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I’ve tried poor and from experience I can definitely say that rich makes me happier.

Marg4000 likes this.