So. Many. Whingers!

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by hammer, 19th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

The paper today has article on Facebook that states that Darwin is one of the most affordable places in the country to buy a house (duh!).

Directly under the Facebook post to this article are hundreds and hundreds of people calling this BS and getting quite offended that the paper would print such nonsense.

I feel like I'm missing something?

The prices seem to me to be fan-bloody-tastic (for a PPOR that is).

There's still lots of well paid work (granted, it's not as good as it was..), all the infrastructure you could ever need and nice houses on 7-800m2 blocks in good areas to be had for around 430k.

If you want to go further out or in a worse area then 320k is totally doable.

2br villas are around 230k....

Seems pretty good to me? Or maybe I am missing something?

I wonder what if people would still whinge if you put up an article explaining how someone has made a cure for cancer free for everyone...?

I am praying that the deafening roar of whingers remains long enough for me to buy my next affordable home up here...

@Darwin55 @Longrass @mtooler @Purple Patch

MTR, Player, willair and 5 others like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm gonna say one of the most hated words on PC again.

Mindset :p

Hodge, KateSydney, kierank and 4 others like this.
  3. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

We have reached an unparalleled phase of humanity - the great age of the whinger.

I blame technology and social media in particular. Never before has there been so many influencers (pardon the pun) to suggest to people they need to live a better life than they have, nor multitude of touchpoints for them to whinge about how they're entitled to be doing better than they are.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

But I would also call it the great age of deception. After all, if it wasn’t flaunted on #instagtam, then it didn’t happen!

”Influencers” edit their lives into parade of shiny, glossy, over-photoshopped images to flaunt on social media, with no mention of the messy, disappointing or unhappy bits of life.

All anyone else sees is the finished product. Some then compare that fiction to the reality of their own lives.........

The Gambler, Snowball, Shazi and 6 others like this.
  5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Found the "offending" report..

Here's an extract...makes for unbelievably rosy reading if you want to buy a home....
    (not so good if you're an investor..)

upload_2019-11-20_21-23-38.png

6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I’m outraged!!!

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

:p

images (2).jpeg

8. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

9. kierank

Bit like that segment on 7:30 Report last night interviewing Suzi Dent. She is a makeup artist and was molested by Rolf Harris in 1986.

Awful story and she helped convict him. One brave, strong lady.

The comment that amazed me the most was her answer to the question of why she liked her job.

Her answer was that she could increase people’s self esteem.

Are people that shallow?

Can their self esteem be increased by applying a bit/lot of crap to their face?

Surely we are not that gullible?

Surely we are more sophisticated than that!!!

I don’t wear makeup and my self esteem is sky high.

I don’t need makeup, flash clothes, expensive cars, ... for me to have confidence in own worth and/or abilities.

I trust I am not the only one. My self esteem would still be sky high if I was butt naked :eek:.

10. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

I identify as perpetually outraged. :eek:

11. Marg4000

It’s a sad reflection of our society that women very often ARE judged by their appearance.

Walk a mile in our shoes.......

Francesco, EN710, Propagate and 5 others like this.
  12. kierank

I understand that but I would have thought the world would have moved on from those “last-century” ideas, especially with movements like equality, feminism, MeToo, ...

My wife rarely wears makeup. She is gorgeous without it. I love her “au natural”, always have.

Maybe I am a male who is ahead of his time ...:eek:.

Archaon and Angel like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I tried my friend's stilettos the other day and I don't know how you gals manage it...my back felt the strain immediately...

14. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Not really...if you're trying to buy a home.
    (Investing is a whole different kettle of fish...sigh)

Over the past 10 years wages have gone up, housing prices have come down and so have interest rates.

15. Marg4000

I rarely wear makeup. And if anyone does not like it, it is their problem, not mine.

But I am past applying for jobs, and I suspect it is the same for your wife.

So let’s not judge those who are still coping with a far-from-level playing field. Despite advances in recent years, there is still a long way to go.

freyja, Shazi, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  16. Marg4000

I have never worn stilettos, never will.
    Fastest way to ruin your feet and/or get a broken ankle.

Sackie likes this.
  17. kierank

I just thought we were further advanced. Maybe it is only so in my little world.

18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Then break it down as I don't know the % of the population that are too young , too old ,or on welfare or to sick to work .

19. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Influencers on Instagram / YouTube / TikTok / etc would beg to differ about how well we have progressed. The entire ethos is about demonstrating how much better your life could be if you looked more like someone else or did things that someone else does. It's the economics of envy.

Bender12, Player, mtat and 2 others like this.
  20. Player

Player Well-Known Member

And therein lies the problem. youtwitface.com has led many people to stop thinking for themselves and by giving away their sovereignty to the phone/tablet and the fantasy of the influencer of the moment, they are off in fairy lala land.

Whinging, entitlement and ninth place trophies with parents telling their kids every five seconds how special they are will lead those who are herd and tribe driven to develop digital depression and other such mental disorders as they find they don't measure up.

Either that, or they could blame housing (un)affordability on the cost of almond/oat/hemp/unicorn milk and the price of avocado's.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF