Cars & Motorbikes So I went to get my car out of the driveway on Saturday...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Depreciator, 14th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

And I found this.
    It was very Marrickville.
    A young Aussie bloke marrying a Viet girl.
    He's the one in the spotted outfit. Just in front of him is the roast pig that the groom's family bring for the feast. Other members of his family are carrying food offerings for corresponding members of the bride's family.
    They were lining up before heading to a house a few doors down.
    I think the groom's father is the older bloke up the street. He came down all flustered when he saw me and was all apologetic. He said, 'I'm sorry about this. It must be a bit odd.'
    'You're not from around here, are you?' I said. 'This isn't odd at all. It's Marrickville. You're going to have a great day. Just go with it.'

Attached Files:

Jacque and neK like this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

That's awesome, you don't see that every day.

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I carried a roast piglet with friends for a Chinese wedding into the bride's home. Heavy but happy.

4. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Hey, that's so cool! :) I've never seen a Vietnamese wedding, but it looks a little bit like a subcontinental wedding with those trays of (presumably) gifts! (or food? mmmm....)

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Probably Viet Chinese. I think it originated with the Chinese. Along with pigs they have jewellery, money and more jewellery...

6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Oh, this literally IS in your driveway.

Love Marrickville.

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

That's awesome! And lucky you had gas for the barbie!

8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Good to see,as the gentleman may have well came here in a boat,had a dream and made it happen,btw we have been to a few Vietnamese weddings from our daughters school mates
    and most have a wishwell just as you walk into the reception some of the inner family welcome everyone in,put in the card and walk in,the last bridal party my daughter was in ,when they went back to their property to party on after the wedding the wish well had over 85kcash,good start..

9. Depreciator

That flustered bloke was the groom's father. They're Aussies. The bride's family is Viet.
    They have been working day and night doing a reno to that house down the road. The paint was probably still wet on Saturday morning.

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Screenshot_2015-12-15-08-46-44.png Screenshot_2015-12-15-08-45-10.png Screenshot_2015-12-15-08-44-32.png Nice! My sister married a Vietnamese heritage guy just under a year ago... the groom's family had to bring in a whole lot of gifts for the bride's family.
    But seriously... how gorgeous is she and how cool is her outfit! She totally blends in as Vietnamese too. :)
    But funny how the Groom is just wearing a normal suit. (And yes... they look like teenagers...)

Last edited: 15th Dec, 2015
    melbournian and WattleIdo like this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Very nice.

It seems to be a common thing in many cultures that women tend to keep traditional clothing much more than men, who would rather go western.

12. Depreciator

Anh Do writes about his wedding in his auto biography. It's a very funny section. He married a girl from the upper north shore, I think, and he describes how on the day of the wedding all his relatives arrived at the brides house and carried a pig up the long driveway.

geoffw and Gockie like this.
  13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That was an excellent book.

From memory, that was in Sydney's North Shore, the family arrived in an old beat up car amongst all the fancy north shore cars. Was the pig carried on the roof of the car?

14. Depreciator

I can't remember the pig specifics. I'll have to dig out the book and have another read.