So I made this huge steel door.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Depreciator, 24th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Any sort of structural double sided tape will be fine. We generally use a 3mm tape which allows for any warps or twists in the steel or weld dags in the corners. then a caulk is applied around the perimeter to hide the tape. You'll obviously want a tape that's around 8-10mm wide too so it doesn't overhang the glazing pocket.

We get ours from a company called CR Lawrence but I'm sure it is readily available.

(http://www.crlaurence.com.au/crlapps/crlmobinew/default.aspx)

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Thanks Dan.
    That bloke in the UK got back to me about the catches for the windows. He quoted a price that works out to be $45 each + postage. I had better makes sure they are the right ones.

3. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I have seen this thing in person.

It is a marvel.

4. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

5. Depreciator

Amazing, Chrispy. Interesting story behind the pink, too.

The glazier got two pieces of glass in my big door on Friday. Piece 3 didn't quite fit. He blamed the supplier, of course. Piece 4, the big one, broke before they loaded it onto his truck, so that was lucky for him.
    It's a bit like Grand Designs in that so often the windows/glass are the problem at the end of a project.
    Scott

bob shovel likes this.
  6. Chrispy

Glass seems to always be the problem. When we built our first house ourselves brick by brick we had huge panels of glass at the front. The glaciers duly arrived and put it in but it was normal glass not the heavy duty for that size window. They then refused to remove it...so for 30 odd years we had this really thin glass that moved and made cracking noises every time the wind blew. We did put a supporting timber support across the middle of both windows but it caused many sleepless nights!!!!

7. Depreciator

You're lucky a hailstorm some time in those 30 years didn't take care of that window. It would be illegal to use that glass now.

Chrispy likes this.
  8. Chrispy

Luckily it was protected. The carport was cut into the design of the house, so the windows were protected by the roof of the carport and the walls of the house. I believe it was illegal then. We tried many times to get them changed but no glazier would touch them. They kept telling us to remove them then they would replace.