So, how's your life?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Allgood, 15th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Last week we were at a wishing well and I gave my six year old daughter a coin to wish on and throw in the well. She held it, and then, looking at me perplexed, said, "I have nothing to wish for, everything is awesome!"

Maybe it's a part of my upcoming mid-life crisis, but something I've been thinking a lot about lately is how we, (or I) always want more.

I'm really lucky to have a lovely wife and 2 gorgeous kids. We live on a beautiful farm in an amazing part of the world, have a hectic 9-5ish job that I actually really enjoy, and a few IP's scattered around the place. My wife and I both earn good incomes (nearing $250k combined) and we have a great group of friends. The 'problem' is that I always seem to be pushing for more. More IP's, more reno's, more done on the farm, a new tractor, (another farm!) Because of our busy lifestyles we are very time poor, which leads to stress, and although I don't think it's affecting us at ATM, it may do down the track.

I guess I'm the big picture one, while my wife, the realist, is flat out managing our lives. For me, it's not about keeping up with the Joneses, more that I always have so much to do and so little time! Am I just ADHD, or do you think it's a more serious psychological condition. o_O

I'd be interested in hearing how other people view their life, and if you always push for more, or how you've learnt to say enough is enough!

Blueskies, larrylarry, Xenia and 2 others like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

If you enjoy it why not?

I usually look for 'more' partly because of boredom and partly because I feel like running out of time (which might not be true). Otherwise I'm quite happy with life :)

Sackie, Allgood and legallyblonde like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

My answer to the question is "bloody fantastic".

I am writing this post as I sit in the Silver Kris lounge waiting to board a flight.

Sackie, Allgood and MTR like this.
  4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I am not materialistic, and I am not a house snob. So long as I am enjoying myself and getting towards my goals thats fine with me

Allgood, Blueskies, Coota9 and 3 others like this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

ADHD. Same here. I'm off to start building a model ship whilst researching re.com.au, while cooking dinner and changing a nappy:D party time

You get heaps done when you're busy!

Me and wifey cannot get upset with the kids going non stop as the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Wish i knew you could get so much done prior to having kids, 6hrs sleep is more than enough! I'm not sure how to slow down, there's to much to do. This year we've setup a market stall which is now in a shop instead (slowed down:)), been to Bali, Sydney, other weekends away, perth touristy stuff, bought 2 ips, started patenting an idea, joined the community garden group, a bunch of other life stuff and then always seeing more things to do. It's always good to reassess and offload things or delegate if possible, otherwise some things need to be culled from your list

Sackie, ellejay and EN710 like this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think most people on here have better lives and outlooks on life than the majority of the Australian population. If you have money to invest then you would be doing better than the population of people living week to week, hand to mouth. Seeing equity in my properties have gone up so much since purchase... can't help but be pleased. :)

I'm probably busier than what I really want to be, outside my job you'll find me playing volleyball 2-3x a week, or airbnb managing... (property maintaining or improving)... sometimes I want a break from everything... but its better to be engaged in something and enjoying life than being passive, watching TV or going shopping to kill time.

I don't go leisure shopping... I even have a fancy shopping centre in the next suburb from home and near my workplace... but I only go in them when I really have to which is extremely rarely...

So yeah... I feel like I have a good life. I'm in control. And if something comes up I have the means to address it. :D

Sackie, Allgood, MTR and 3 others like this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

If you're in control, you are just not going fast enough!!!
    Mario Andretti (racing car driver)

8. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Chucked in a high paying job in Switzerland few years ago to come and live unemployed in Spain where my kids live. Switzerland was great but sitting in a Swiss bank behind a computer & trading systems all day did my head in. Now an easier life with much less money, sometimes renovating, languages, sports, investments, castellers (twice this weekend), but no international travel anymore (but more because of the kids than money, that will resume later). Fortunately most of my activities are fairly cheap and so is Spain.

I reckon for many people sometime around the age of 50 they start to realize time is more important than money...

I predict this thread will be long.

Allgood, mrdobalina and ellejay like this.
  9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

This is true...i was told recently at work to go faster at the risk of losing control...but thats how growth happens i suppose.

Allgood and kierank like this.
  10. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy with my lot. Have made some re-adjustments to life recently. Sold up, moved interstate, got divorced, new partner, new job. Settle on a new PPOR next week.

The older you get the more you realise life is about people and experiences rather than possessions. I'm pretty lucky with the people in my life.

Allgood and Coota9 like this.
  11. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Time is the most precious commodity there is. Even the half life of time is gone before you know it.

Some people on here bang on about how good they are working 80+ hours a week. The only people who remember how many hours you work are your kids, because they grow up never having you around. Do you want to be this type of person? My parents were.

I spend minimum 40hrs a week with my 1 daughter and wife. I was that 80+ hour a week guy once, and I worked it out that its not healthy. You never get that time back.

My daughter is 11. Her life has flashed before my eyes. I now spend as much time as I can with her. Netball, athletics, school pick up, mornings before school - any time I can. I know one day she will be on her own life journey one day, so taking advantage of the time commodity.

The biggest thing I want for Kona.....is for her to be able to say for the rest of her life is - 'My dad was always there'.

pinkboy

12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I am not meaning this in a nasty way but I think you need a bit of perspective. I think we can get so caught up in our lives that we don't have time to reflect on what is truly important to us.

Around 2000, I was working in IT during a very exciting time. I was making good money and spending it too. A couple of years later I was broke, unemployed and homeless. That really puts things in perspective!

Anyway, the stress you put yourselves under is your choice and it is not particularly healthy in the long run. This is certainly something to consider.

My life is fantastic now. I would not change anything. I share a house with someone who also lost everything and we live what most would consider very frugal lives. But since both of us remember what it was like to have nothing, the modest amount we have seems like a lot to us! :) That said, every few years I look for a good project. Not because I need more or feel the push to get more. Simply because I love a good project :D

Allgood likes this.
  13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I' ve got a few missing teeth and I'm thinking about some gold crowns. Spoke to a dentist recently who seems rather keen on the idea and will do them for around $1200 each.

Yeah life's good even for a smiling bogan.

Allgood likes this.
  14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ted Varrick, datto, Coota9 and 3 others like this.
  15. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I was one who went full-on with everything - good paying job, executive lifestyle, buying properties like I was playing monopoly with play money. Life has recently changed for me and I'm learning how to slow down. It's tough to do after many years living the crazy life.

Allgood likes this.
  16. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Its funny you mention the shopping. When my kids were younger I really enjoyed it but really couldn't afford to do it as much as I did. Now that I can easily afford it I don't want to. I have a huge shopping centre that I used to adore about 10 mins down the road, however nowadays I hate spending wasting money that I can enjoy on better things. I would be lucky do go shopping 10 times a year. I now only go if I have to buy a birthday present, or Xmas shopping. Other than that I completely avoid as I have learnt you can easily spend $200 and have only a couple of little things to show for it. It does help that my kids are turds to take shopping- they would rather do chores than go shopping, they really hate it! I also actually get a kick out of saving money on my grocery shop and not going to the supermarket 24/7, I do a weekly grocery shop and don't go again til the following week. Years ago I would go everyday just for the sake of it. Now I plan our meals and it is so much easier and cheaper.

WattleIdo and Gockie like this.
  17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You should check out Slow Your Home - Slow right down and live the simpler life you want
    Decluttering and simplifying life, and enjoying it. They quit the 80hr corporate life to enjoy the simple life
    I haven't looked to much into it i like the adhd version, but know of them through a mate and loosely follow. I should have a look there's some interesting stuff

mrdobalina and Allgood like this.
  18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This

Always pushing
    Always growing

My life is a big push for continuous growth, financially, emotionally and spiritually never just contentment on any level.

19. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Work in progress. Young beautiful family, albeit with a fatigued wife. Very busy job - almost working two at the moment until my business is consistently busy enough to pull back. Health improving, training/exercise/diet become consistent. Actively working on eliminating stress/irritability - working very effectively.
    My kids have everything they need, and not everything they want. Modest, but charming house, probably half the value of equivalent colleagues' who are now slaves to their 1m+ mortgages. Not interested in other material possessions until they can be bought without blinking (I still want a Ferrari, one day).

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I was tempted to respond with 'life's fabulousl'. It's the Internet after all!

But in truth, my life has ups and downs like everyone's life. Quite a few of the latter recently.

Some people I cared about have died and a relationship ended recently - and those experiences have got me thinking.

I've been taking account of my life, grieving for some pathways I may never take, and wondering what the new pathways might be.

Tim86, mrdobalina, ellejay and 2 others like this.