So Bunnings have these good, cheap brush sets at the moment...

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Depreciator, 10th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Five brushes for $2.25. And they're pretty good. Great for epoxy and fibre glassing etc - the sort of jobs where there is no point trying to clean a brush. I bought ten packs yesterday so I've got a few years supply.

Scott

Attached Files:

2. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I got sucked when I saw the price. Maybe I got a bad batch.. but I've found them terrible.. For using oil based enamel and acrylic. The bristles were way too stiff, didn't soak up the paint too well and the paint always looked streaky on the substrate. The slightly more expensive black brushes (generic brand) I've found pretty good.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Love a disposable paint brush, used for everything except painting!
    good for cleaning stuff and one other job that most normal people aren't aware of is they are good for using as a hair brush on babies!

vbplease likes this.
  4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use any cheap brushes for a top coat and expect a great finish. I have used them over the last few weeks for the epoxy I've been putting on my concrete floor and for an epoxy undercoat on some exterior steel. That epoxy hardens after an hour or so, so I just toss the brush. The smaller ones from the packs my wife nabbed for her studio - ceramic glazing.

5. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

I hate using enamel paint destroys my brushes! Good cheap brushes are useful for sure.

6. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

For water based paints you can also wrap them in cling wrap and keep them in the fridge. No need wash them if you are going to be using them again soon. During my last Reno I had 6 different brushes going (including undercoats) all lined up and labeled in the fridge for about 30 days. When I got to the next room to paint I would just take the brush out of the fridge and start painting - great for small touch ups too. Before the big reveal I just chucked the lot.

The Y-man, vbplease and Gockie like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Logan And when I checked your fridge I thought you were on a thinners-based bender.

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2015
    Logan and mcarthur like this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Similar to the rollers, just whack em in a bag or wrap in a damp cloth, ready for the next day. Don't even need to put them in the fridge in the cooler weather.

Logan likes this.