Travel & Holidays Snowy Mountains

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 3rd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

^ Agree. We looked at moving to nsw mountains to be nearer to the coast but it's very limited over there compared to Vic alpine area. NSW mountains are fine for a visit though!

2. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

Fairly good hikes around the Snowys :).

I recommend a pit stop at the (supposedly haunted) Bushranger Hotel if it's still open these days (and a quick horrified glance at the Dreamer's Gate sculpture on the road opposite it).

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Fly to Albury, Limo to ski-fields in around an hour :)

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Guys we're planning to go to Vic end of the year for a longer period..we can't leave sydney for too long this time as we have quite a few things going on..

as for NZ...we went to the north island last year and drove from Auckland to Rotaroua...we were amazed at how beautiful the countryside was....was like we were driving in Europe...the ppl were also so friendly and helpful. definitely plan to go back a few more times.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Have you considered vic? :p

If your only going to the snow once a nice place away from the snow fields would be the go. Stayz airbnb etc etc something with a view
    You can also get the tube up the hill from jindy instead of driving, it's not really exciting from memory just stinky people that have been out skiing but can avoid the traffic

ellejay likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

right...so i tell the mrs the forum folks have picked Crackenback...so where does she book....

Help! Which hotel is best?

our loft is somewhere at the top with private balcony mountain views..

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah I dunno. Might be just people's preference, but I much prefer NSW.

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I hope there is enough snow to ski in June.. were going June 19...

If there is no snow.. the wife says i'll be in big trouble... hehe

11. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Sackie likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Mick Butterfield Hey thanks for that mate! Really appreciate your feedback :) and congrats on the wedding!

Is it a central location to things? Any places you can recommend to visit near there or even up to an hour travel?

Thanks mate!

Last edited: 11th May, 2016
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I'm really not hoping for the cold weather to come here in a hurry...
    ...but it's looking like it should be a good chance there.

14. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Leo, what is it you're hoping to visit? Crackenback is in beautiful mountain countryside, you've reached your destination. I was a bit worried by your post above asking about shopping. It's the countryside, you could just relax. Try something different other than shopping and designer coffee. Not saying you need to do that but after travelling all the way there maybe just enjoy the walks around Crackenback resort and the mountain.

I'm a small town mountain girl and even for me it's about appreciating the small things and slowing right down. Now if you were going to the European alps it would be a different story. Just my 2 cents :p

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hope so! :cool:

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

HI @ellejay no we absolutely love the countryside! Its one of the most relaxing things for us. We are really looking forward to the slower pace and being surrounded by natural beauty!

Having said said.. we are a little spoilt... I need my good coffee...and it would be nice to have some boutique shops to buy some nice things for our home :D

But I can sacrifice the boutique shops...

Please just have good soya latte...:p:oops:

ellejay likes this.
  17. Mick Butterfield

Hi Leo,

It is about 15 minutes past Jindabyne. It is very close to the Ski Tube for getting up to Perisher, there is a courtesy bus from the resort. This would by far be the best/easiest option for you and your wife to see some snow. Some things that I feel are essential would be;

- Wild Brumby Distillery - Is nearby and well worth a look. They have good meals and their Schnapps are awesome (Pear and Butterscotch are my two favorites).

- There are some great walks to Bullocks Hut (highly recommend) and along the Thredbo River that you can do from the resort. Dress to the conditions and they are stunning in any conditions.

- Meal options in Jindabyne can be a little ordinary (and busy this that time of year). Our favorite place to go there is Banjo Patersons which is the first pub on the left as you come in to town from Sydney. The food is decent but the main draw-card is the Kosciuszko Pale Ale straight on tap from the brewery vats. Well worth it if you are partial to an ale, if not I would give it a miss.

- Depending on how long you have there I would say some other things worth a look would be Thredbo Village and just walking along the bike path at Lake Jindabyne at sunset.

I tell you what after writing this I am booking a weekend there myself. It is an absolute stunning part of the country. I hope you love it as much as we do. Let me know if if you need anything else and how you go with it all.

Mick

bob shovel and Sackie like this.
  18. Mick Butterfield

Oh and there is good coffee at Red Door in Jindabyne (they roast their own beans) and the Alpine Larder at Lake Crtackenback resort,

Sackie likes this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Mick Butterfield Hey thanks for all those tips!!. I have just cut and pasted your posts in Word and printing them out to take with us! Your enthuasim and excitement for the place is really contagious! We cant wait and I will be sure to let you know how we find it. I will probably post some pictures on this thread once we're there :)

Thanks again mate.

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Do you ski or snowboard? I prefer snowboard myself.
    And there is always the toboggans!

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.