Snownami / Antarctic Vortex

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Perky29, 11th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    As a keen skier I have been waiting for the next good snow storm - especially when this season so far has been quite poor (hooray for snowmaking)
    But I do have a laugh when the newspapers come up with these names for what is basically a good dump (which in reality should happen at least a few times during the season) -
    http://www.news.com.au/technology/e...alia-to-the-bone/story-e6frflp0-1227436412256

Anyway , hope this lives up to the hype. The charts do look VERY good until Wednesday.
    David

2. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

Got the wood piled up and under cover. Should be able to see a heap of snow on the mountains around me when this system comes through. It's certainly getting a bit of media coverage?

See ya's.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sitting in a lodge in NE Victoria this morning - wanted to get first tracks (even with insomnia). Got up at 6.00am - very poor visibility, gusting to high winds, very wet snow/clear snow ie not fluffy stuff down low). Temps have been hovering between -0.2 and +0.1 (it would be slightly cooler at the top of the hill (and probably flufflier too). Can't see jack through the snow cams.

Have decided hold off going out for a couple of hours.

4. Scott No Mates

Visibility was quite poor yesterday too - resort management has closed the village roads and lodge owners requested to put cars into their parking areas.

5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

My plan is to head up to Blackheath tomorrow for some photography and walking. Hopefully the roads won't be closed. Otherwise will see what areas I can access further down the mountains.

6. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic but Scott - did you ever chat on the old ski.com.au forums?

7. Scott No Mates

Still do hobo. Actually posted on the Falls Creek page last night.

8. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Hah, well there you go. I used to post about.....12-15 years ago. Around the time the two long-term regulars went missing (and then were found), if you remember that?

9. Scott No Mates

I must've missed/forgotten that event hobo. I have been a sporadic member there for a long time, I even had a £€#[email protected] email address (now that's old).

10. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Wish I was down in Thredbo this weekend. My snowboard has gathered way too much dust unfortunately :/

11. Scott No Mates

Way too soft and wet C-Mac. Chatting to a few instructors over a brew or few earlier this evening, give it a couple of days for this storm to blow over and it'll be great.

12. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

13. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Our top temp in Melb yesterday was 9.8 degrees and raining most of the day.(didn't even get that high down my way|).

My yardstick over the last 30 years as a skier is; 11 degrees and raining - guaranteed snow at Mt.Buller and probably the others.

So, my guess is yesterday was a good day for the white stuff?

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/Winter/snow-weather/snow-report

Still not all that much if you read between the lines on this report, but enough to ski on if you are desperate....mostly man-made on the main runs - so; peak hour traffic on carved up slush.

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/Winter/snow-weather/snow-report/lift-run-report

14. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

10° here at the moment. Not happy.

15. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

My yardstick if 13°C in Melbourne with a low followed by a high pressure band usually indicates snow at Hotham/FC.

The latest systems have broght a reasonable amount of natural cover to the alps with more terrain opening as depths become viable - we don't want to harm the glacial worm or alpine drop bears which are endangered species in these areas.

16. Bayview

Pretty true.

I heard the news snow report on the teev after I posted earlier, and their take was;
    Hotham - 50cm of natural
    Falls - 40cm of natural
    Buller - 25cm of natural.

Discount 10% of that for the BS factor to hype up a season when there isn't one (they do it every year) and that'd be about right.;)

My criteria is I only pay attention when they call it "very good to excellent". Anything below that is a waste of time - but I'm a spoilt, fussy poser.

I used to go out in anything when I first started, but not anymore...hate crowds (must have most lifts open), and hate green snow. :mad:

17. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

You have to remember that different skifields require different depths of snow to operate. Hotham, with its steeps, requires more than Buller which can function on 25cm. FC needs 1m to open summit or the maze but 40 cm sees most terrain open.

18. Bayview

Yes, I realise that; have been skiing Vic ski slopes for 30+ years.

I have skied at Buller when there is only 25cm of snow - that's why I don't do it any more.

That depth scenario translates to about 3 or 4 chairlifts open if you're lucky, huuuge crowds and wait times for chairs/gondolas, and crap snow surface by about 10.30am....good time to stay in the bar, and/or if you have kids; put them in ski-school for the day. ;)