NSW Snapshot of my area (Inner West Syd)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Hwangers, 29th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jello_B

Jello_B Well-Known Member

Thought I’d bring this thread back to life in lieu of starting another Sydney thread.
    I’ve been tracking the area for well over 12 months and been observing significant drops in pricing. I’ve been looking at Balmain, Rozelle, Birchgrove and Lilyfield. PPOR. I’m relatively new to Sydney being here less than 2 years so still learning the market.
    There was very little around sub-$1.8M 12 months ago. Most decent places were $2.4M+.
    I’m seeing a lot of $2.2M houses now struggling to get $2M. A lot more stock is available in the $1.6M range as well. Parts of the area are also significantly impacted by the new freeway, which will only get worse over the next few years.
    Anyways interested in conversing about these suburbs and others opinions. Parts of Balmain and Birchgrove seem immune from major downwards shifts. I think there is more reductions to happen generally, I’m hoping to pick up one of those (2017) priced $2.2M houses for less than $1.8M.

Cia likes this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Keep waiting while the trend is on the downward spiral, or until you find the perfect place.......buyers market for sure atm.

Jello_B likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Good!
    And I agree with Dabbler’s comment.

Jello_B likes this.
  4. Jello_B

48 Roseberry Street Balmain at $1.82M. Seems like a high price for the market. Am I off on this?

5. Kate

Kate Well-Known Member

Hello @Jello_B, which freeway are you referring to? I’m also interested in buying in Balmain / Birchgrove for PPOR.
    Thank you

Cia likes this.
  6. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

WestConnex - Rozelle to North Shore link.

plenty of information to be found online

7. Kate

Kate Well-Known Member

Yes, I have seen those. I thought it wouldn’t affect Balmain since the ideais to have a tunnel under the peninsula?

8. Jello_B

Yep West Connex. Check the pollution mapping online. Mapping may be exaggerated but still enough to turn some people off. You are correct that it will likely affect Rozelle and not so much Balmain.