NSW Snapshot of my area (Inner West Syd)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Hwangers, 29th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Post a link to the ad and people will give you plenty of suggestions - perhaps even some good ones. Strange for a flat in Enmore to hang around that long.

Lollie likes this.
  2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've seen plenty of reno's that look like rubbish to me, yet to the person is the most "awesome" renovation ever.

As @Depreciator, post a link or some photos if you want and we can help critique it.

3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

It's almost always a bad agent if a property is taking weeks on the rental market. Regardless of the market, it just means they haven't priced it in line with the market or just waiting for a tenant to materialise on their own.

The advantage of a local agent is that they have a pool of recent local enquiries and sometimes a harsh phone call results in them finding a tenant within hours.

4. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

5. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

Yes, I get the feeling my agent doesn’t know this market. The previous tenant was paying $550, with the improvements I made they thought they’d try for $650 and after the first two opens and only one application they dropped it down to $630. There was no-one at the Sat open. Also, as it’s vacant, I think they should be able to show people through outside the scheduled inspection times, I don’t think they’re doing this.

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My thoughts. And warning - it isn't overly pleasant to read. But thankyou for sharing the listing.

* I can't tell how big your bedrooms are but the "main" with wardrobe looks to be on the small side.
    * What does the bathroom look like?

* Light fittings look disappointing for something supposedly new. I'd want down lights rather than oysters. Not a biggie. But I wouldn't write in the body of the text about these lights.
    * The new carpet isn't inviting and a turn off. For me, vinyl floorboards would have more appeal. People with allergies won't want carpet and floorboards keep clean easier. I wonder, can something be put in a photo so we have our eyes drawn to those objects instead of the carpet? Perhaps virtual styling?
    * Blue floor in kitchen is a turn off. Sorry.
    * Do all your windows have curtains or blinds?
    * Do you have a floor plan?

Re
    : Agent, I wouldn't say that they are too out of area. But maybe they are less familiar with the local market and local rents.

The main thing. To me the reno doesn't make this place fantastic and above average, it brought the appearance to the level of a basic expectation. So if a big price rise was due to this reno... I think there is a pricing issue.
    Can you maybe get a few images of local attractions in the listing? Cafes/Schools etc perhaps?

Best of luck.

Last edited: 7th Nov, 2017
    qak likes this.
  7. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

The tiles in the kitchen.....damn...

8. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

Definately a pricing issue. Have a look at comparables, there are a few 2 bed apartments available for quite a bit less within walking distance of your apartment and they have some more desirable features/ styles.
    I’d immediately drop the rent to 595 and then to 580 if that does not work. Not having a tenant is costing you a lot more than dropping the rent.

There is no way painting and new carpets/ light fittings will increase the rent by $100/wk - lesson is do your own comparisons and don’t listen to the agent if it sounds too good to be true and don’t get greedy.

Gockie likes this.
  9. Depreciator

The flat is fine. It's in a good location - close to Enmore Road, but far enough away to not be noisy. It has good light, an internal laundry and a bathroom with bath and shower. And it has parking (with a lockable storeroom. You need to make a big deal of the parking in the ad - a parking spot in that location would be gold.
    So it gets down to price. The market is telling you that your flat is too expensive. It needs to be under $600.
    Re: 'Also, as it’s vacant, I think they should be able to show people through outside the scheduled inspection times, I don’t think they’re doing this.'
    You need to KNOW what the agent is doing. Get a friend to call up this morning to ask about the flat and request a viewing.
    Scott

qak likes this.
  10. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

I agree with all your comments, I’ve always considered a freshen up and carpet to add a bit more, not a lot more. This is a new agent, they took over the business of my old agent, never dealt with them before. I usually don’t listen to agents and do my own comparisons. I’ll have them drop the rent. Thankyou!

11. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott! I’ve taken your advice. They will change the ad to mention the undercover parking and storeroom in the title and reduce the rent to $595. They will contact all the people who made enquiries and advise them of the reduced rent amount.

Last edited: 7th Nov, 2017
  12. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

I actually like the blue, but then I’ve never had to live with it..

13. Depreciator

Well done on taking control of the situation, Lollie.

Lollie likes this.
  14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I do think you're being a little harsh :)
    It is a rental after all.

It's probably not an overly large bedroom given the area. The photographer looks like they've maxed out the size they can pull off without using a fisheye.

Probably like crap which is why it hasn't been shown.
    My two best friends are silicon and grout.
    If the ceiling is peeling, scrape off and repaint. No one likes a flaking ceiling.

Agreed.

Light fittings are the cheaper plastic looking ones... Lights are one of those understated items, its when people walk in and the places feels crap... yet they don't know why (or the place "just" feels nice). Unless one is handy and knows how to change light fittings, it probably isn't worth the investment. Just know for next time not to cheap out on lights. Even something with a nice trim on a simple oyster can make a big difference.

But downlights in units aren't easy unless they have a false ceiling. So a person would need to use those downlights on a bar which aren't that cheap - and don't look that great anyway.
    I'm wondering how dirty the carpets really are. That said, floorboards may not be allowed due to strata and noise transfer. Plush carpets are bad. Go for something that is dense. Hardwearing carpet, but high quality gold underlay is my trick. Feels soft due to underlay, but still hardwearing.

Yep. But what can you do? Rip out the kitchen? Not worth it.

Old crappy verticals from the pics. Go change the blinds to new roller blinds. Its on a higher floor so privacy isn't so much an issue. Grab some blockout blinds from spotlight when they are on sale.

Tip: Pre-made roller blinds are usually 2100mm in length. When the roller blinds get old, don't throw them out, cut off the old section, and reattach the bottom bar. Because of the length, there is a section that has remained rolled up and unused. You now have NEW roller blinds. :)

Not necessary for a rental in my opinion.

When looking for PM's, check the title of the Property Manager.
    Unless they are "Director" I'm not interested. Last thing i want is some one who sees property management as a "stepping stone" to real estate. Property Management requires a very different mindset.

15. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

You’re right, an unpleasant read, but thankyou, I value you’re opinion. I think from now on I’ll post my unrenovated pics so forumites can help me renovate. I thought I had a fairly good handle on things but it seems I might be out of touch...

I’ve seen the main bed with a queen bed and plenty of furniture over the years so perhaps it’s adequate. I’m having a cracked shower screen replaced which is why there is no photo of the bathroom which is otherwise in original but good condition.

The agents seem to recommend whatever keeps the costs down the most, hence carpet and LED oyster lights. Before any floor covering replacement, I always ask about vinyl floorboards only to be told things like, they’re hard to replace when the water gets under them, tenants will scratch them, more costly etc. I agree they look great though and I’d prefer them. I’d also prefer downlights. Windows have blinds and curtains. When I bought the property as an investment, I actually liked the kitchen and the blue tiles, it looked better than my other daggy old beige/brown kitchens. I have a floor plan, I thought that would have looked good in the ad.

I’ve never had any issues leasing this property in all the years I’ve had it, it’s usually leased after the first couple of opens and to fairly long term tenants. so main issue, as per many of the comments is the pricing and the advertisement, which I’ve had the agent change.

16. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

Probably like crap which is why it hasn't been shown.
    My two best friends are silicon and grout.
    If the ceiling is peeling, scrape off and repaint. No one likes a flaking ceiling.

Agreed.

Light fittings are the cheaper plastic looking ones... Lights are one of those understated items, its when people walk in and the places feels crap... yet they don't know why (or the place "just" feels nice). Unless one is handy and knows how to change light fittings, it probably isn't worth the investment. Just know for next time not to cheap out on lights. Even something with a nice trim on a simple oyster can make a big difference.

But downlights in units aren't easy unless they have a false ceiling. So a person would need to use those downlights on a bar which aren't that cheap - and don't look that great anyway.

I'm wondering how dirty the carpets really are. That said, floorboards may not be allowed due to strata and noise transfer. Plush carpets are bad. Go for something that is dense. Hardwearing carpet, but high quality gold underlay is my trick. Feels soft due to underlay, but still hardwearing.

Yep. But what can you do? Rip out the kitchen? Not worth it.

Old crappy verticals from the pics. Go change the blinds to new roller blinds. Its on a higher floor so privacy isn't so much an issue. Grab some blockout blinds from spotlight when they are on sale.

Tip: Pre-made roller blinds are usually 2100mm in length. When the roller blinds get old, don't throw them out, cut off the old section, and reattach the bottom bar. Because of the length, there is a section that has remained rolled up and unused. You now have NEW roller blinds. :)

Not necessary for a rental in my opinion.

When looking for PM's, check the title of the Property Manager.
    Unless they are "Director" I'm not interested. Last thing i want is some one who sees property management as a "stepping stone" to real estate. Property Management requires a very different mindset.[/QUOTE]

The bathroom is in good condition, no pics until tomorrow after the new shower screen goes in.

The verticals are in good condition, I shouldn’t have to replace them.

Thanks for the carpet tip.

The lights looked ok to me from the photos but I’ll be mindful in future of not cheaping out on the lights.

17. KevinJ

KevinJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had a similar issue before. Your either asking for too much or just wait till the new year. Late Jan/Feb gets quite busy with tenants looking for 6-12 months.

18. Depreciator

Re blinds.
    I have an intense and possibly illogical hatred of verticals. I put timber venetians in one of my flats and they look great. I did the measure and ordered online and they were delivered in about 10 days. Installation was easy.
    Think about it for next time.

19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I just ordered some blinds from Half Price Blinds... will let you know the verdict once I install it

Lollie likes this.
  20. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

I hate verticals too, messy and ugly, I recently renovated to sell and ripped out good verticals and put in roller blinds. The enmore unit had these verticals in when I bought, I wouldnt ever get them again.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.