SMSF Investment mix thoughts

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Psyk, 11th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Psyk

Psyk Member

Hello All,
    We've just started on the SMSF route (in hindsight I should've done a little more research - but we are where we are) and we will be signing paperwork to finalize the rollover of funds..

As a bit of backgrounder, we're rolling in around ~$500K into the SMSF and we have already Investment Properties which are not part of the fund. We're looking at around ~20 years to retirement.

My initial question is what is a good starting investment mix? I'm leaning on ETF's and not really interested in bringing a property into the SMSF (unless there is a really compelling reason to do so now).

I'm a leave-it-in-there and check every now-and-then (every 6 months or so) sort of guy. So a mix of something steady, and safe, growth mix to see us into retirement. Some threads that really resonated with me were:
    1. This one showing the following:
      • 25% Australian Index (Home Country bias)
      • 25% Australian Bond Index
      • 25% US Index
      • 25% World (ex US) Index
    2. Another one here showing:
      • 50% VGS
        20% VAS/lics
        10% VAE
        10% IJR
        10% VVLU
    3. And another post here showing a mix of:
      1. VAS, ARG/AFI/MLT/BKI,QVE, VGS, FGG
    Now I understand that this is not financial advice (there's my acknowledgement :) ), but I'd be interested in a mix that people have done, are doing currently or would contemplate doing themselves in the current climate.

Thanks in advance!

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

s66 SISA likely prohibits most property being transferred from members to the SMSF anyway.

Each EFT and its underlying exposure and income mix needs to be considered. I would think that if you havent considered this first then a shut your eyes and buy strategy isnt particularly informed. eg what is the composite exposure ?

Its like going all in on 25% banks, 25% mining, 25% retailers and 25% cash. Or worse still 30% index, 30% banks (who will mirror index and also reflect a % of the index) etc

I would start by considering a correction strategy. If you went 100% ETF and the markets fell 30% what may you also lose ? So are leveraged, some not greatly market exposed etc.

Psyk likes this.
  3. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

If you don't want to manage it put $ 250-350k in the Lakehouse Small Companies Fund. and 100-150k in the Lakehouse Global Growth Fund. Then every month you will be emailed a newsletter on performance, strategy and report on the companies . If you find somewhere better let us know.

Psyk and JohnPropChat like this.
  4. Gestalt

Gestalt Well-Known Member

I appreciate that you have just established your SMSF.

However, if you just want to invest in ETFs and perhaps some LICs, why not just save yourself the cost, hassle and compliance burden of a SMSF, and invest through a low cost industry fund like Hostplus?

Psyk likes this.
  5. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Instead of having an SMSF with whole heap of associated compliance costs, I would rather open an account with Australian Super. Their member direct account allows for low cost investment in a whole range of stocks, including ETFs. Check their PDS for the lists or give them a buzz.

Psyk likes this.
  6. Psyk

Psyk Member

As you can tell I'm new to this, and the discussion and research has been helpful.:)

Thank you for the feedback and I think closing it is starting to be a more real option by the day...
    Thanks for the feedback. I had loosely considered the investment mix also, and was researching some investment funds for reference.
    I'm attracted to this idea and was looking at AFIC, ARGO and MIR.

In the meantime, I found some information online on the HostPlus Indexed Balanced Option mix shown below and was something that I thought would be a good reference for an equivalent mix for a starting investment.

[​IMG]
    Any thoughts or comments?

Currently the paperwork is already being completed for funds to move in to the account, so unsure as to the costs involved in cancelling and 'redirecting'. I may reach out to the accountant for options.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Attached Files:

7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

SMSFs not as attractive as in the past. We have one but nowadays I wish we didn’t.

Personally for Super I’d choose a cheap Industry Fund such as Hostplus or Aust Super etc. Then given the legislative risk with Super also invest in a assets of your choice such as property, ETFs, LICs in own names / trust.

Psyk and Islay like this.