smsf buy investment property

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by grant7, 10th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. grant7

grant7 Member

Hi Sorry another smsf question ! still getting my head around it all :)

I have a development site - purely purchased to provide income. ie. 2 lots purchased then amalgamated straight away and subdivided asap into 8 lots. Profits are treated as income and gst paid on all sales. (Its my principal income) There was a existing residential house on one of the lots which is now ready to sell (the 7 vacant lots have sold).
    Could my smsf purchase the house in this scenario and then rent it out providing rental income to the smsf ?
    Thanks !

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

potentially yes. Best to get some legal advice to make sure

grant7 likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There is a complication to what is understood to be "business real property". Being a isolated profit making issue and an enterprise doesnt in itself mean that the BRP test is met. It would be one of those curly ones I would be referring to DBA Lawyers for their advice. If permitted, market value should be used. If it isnt the shortfall may also be a inspecie form of contribution according to the views in TR 2010/1 which can produce some contribution strategies by using that ruling !! However duty would be based on market value. There may even be strategies around a related party loan that is annually repaid by way on a notional contribution under the Limited Recourse Borrowing rules.

I am not so sure the existing dwelling will meet the test at all. The vacant developed land may. The Business Real Property refers to that title, not the activity overall. Thats a further reason I see it as complex.