SMSF Buy Business Property

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by andnic, 28th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. andnic

andnic Member

Looking to buy my father business property in SMSF.
    The business has not been run for the past 5 years and is not generating any income.
    I want to get the business up and running again which could take a while fixing machinery and getting new clients.
    If I purchased the property in SMSF is it mandatory for the business to pay rent to the SMSF or can this be delayed until the business is generating income again?

Thanks.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The trustee has ab obligation to get market value rent, and would be in breach of the SIS Act and trust law for not doing so.

3. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

If the property is also owned by your father,
    I don’t think the purchase is allowed as you are buying from a related party.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Commercial property not residential.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Seek legal advice. The property may not meet the business real property test which is defined by SIS Act and a tax ruling. Hence it would be prohibited as s66 SISA only permits business real property IMMEDIATELY prior to the acquisition. The required test is NOT if the property is commercial property !!!

A small but critical legal distinction

The issue of you being a associate and operating the business needs legal clarity too. The SMSF would need a investment strategy that addresses the deferred rent expectations and this could be considered a breach of the sole purpose test if the lease arrangement isnt on arms length terms

6. andnic

andnic Member

Thanks for the replies and info.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia