SMSF borrowing

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Rooky, 13th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

How does SMSF borrowing works? Does person borrowing needs to sign personal guarantee? If so, does it reduce borrowing power available in personal capacity ? I would think that since SMSF borrowing is LRBA, it should not reduce personal borrowing capacity.

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    PG's used to be required at some of the bigger brands...but that is now a thing of the past . There arent many lenders for SMSF any longer.... its mainly Liberty, Latrobe and Origin, who each provide money via their own brand directly, or via wholesale funding to mortgage managers.

These days, most lenders ( if not all lenders) will not typically consider LRBA SMSF debt as a personal liability when borrowing in your own name.... However, just to be sure you don't snooker yourself, its better/smarter to exhaust your personal capacity before borrowing via a LRBA....just in case the PG thing becomes a thing again one day

3. OzziMelbourne

OzziMelbourne Well-Known Member

I once signed a personal guarantee but it doesn’t influence my personal borrowing capacity. This is because my smsf loan doesn’t go to my file with any credit agency as my loan.
    Btw, mortgage house on top of the above listed entities provides smsf loans at present

4. CryptoClown

CryptoClown Well-Known Member

I've heard conflicitng arguments about this. Does it depends which bank/credit union you go with.

As Euro said I'd use all your personal borrowing up before giving it a shot.

5. OzziMelbourne

If I go to my Veda file or a file produced by any credit agency, I do not see a loan of my smsf. Moreover, I do not see and would never see any personal guarantees in such a file because such guaranties represent internal documentation between my lender and I.
    Obviously, people who have smsf loans have to declare them when taking home loans. Having my smsf loan, I bought 2 properties and both times I declared that I have a smsf loan and as soon as my lenders got this info, that was fine and no further questions asked about personal guarantees
    Btw, if a smsf can buy a property now and has enough funds to complete this transaction, why wait?

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Personal Guarantees pretty standard these days.

Other SMSF assets safe, but your personals are not

Mainstream banks are still doing SMSF for commercial securities, but resi is pretty much gone

ta
    rolf

7. Rolf Latham

If you pull the commercial info, most will show u as a director of the trustee

SMSF loans have no impact to folks personal servicing because in most cases, the SMSF debt is self servicing from Guarantee Contribs and property rent.

Some lenders will want the SMSF returns to ensure that your personal income isnt being soaked up by additional non voluntary contributions as a standard process for responsible lending

ta
    r

8. OzziMelbourne

Yes. As soon as I clarify for the bank that I am a director of aaa pty Ltd and it’s a trustee for my smsf and the property was bought via smsf, that was enough

9. Rolf Latham

This be the case with most lenders, the risk with assuming this be the case for all borrowers and circumstances which is what Euro is on about, so as to ensure that folks dont get stuck.

ta
    rolf

10. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

11. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

All lenders will require a personal guarantee, the members will generally require a legal advice certificate. SMSF lending is the best its been since pre election when the big 4 left. Rates are now below 5% which is still high but it is what it is.

Re in your personal capacity as mentioned above you will need an accountants letter re both companies that you are a director of and disclose the smsf assets / debt in the app and some lenders may ask for the annual return for the smsf.

No issue using your smsf to purchase property, as long as you do your due diligence and have someone in the know assisting you with the process.

Hope that helps

Cheers Ivan

12. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

BTW for all those concerned, Firstmac went back into the smsf lending space today which is good news, fairly good rates and competitive with the best lenders in the space, with these lenders coming back in will really put pressure on La trobe to lift its game.....

Cheers Ivan

Terry_w likes this.
  13. euro73

Very low fees too, but unfortunately no offset account as they arent an ADI. The redraw/offset feature that they are able to offer on retail products wont suit SMSF/SIS Act redraw restrictions... If they can find a way to offer offset, it will be best in market

14. Rolf Latham

Yet

Kim's major ambition I suspect...........with commensurate loss of business volume

ta
    rolf

15. euro73

kim isn’t short of coin :)

16. Rolf Latham

Indeed

But its not about the $, and thats the tragedy.

Its a great biz not hamstrung by APRA, so to me the ADI piece doesnt make biz sense, its a VERY crowded marketplace with bugger all differentiation, a differentiation which he has right now, and trading that for a badge.

ta
    rolf

17. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Just with current SMSF lending environment (under 5% interest is a good tart)
    1. SMSF with 350K how much can I borrow up to? assuming around 3% gross yield and history of 40K PA voluntary contribution
    2. How long to get approval? I intend to buy at auction should I be asking for at least 90 days settlement
    3. How much admin is required and time required to set up appropiate accounts and do these need to be set up before I bid at auction?, I already have a SMSF account which is in Australian shares

18. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

PG's and personal servicing has been a mixed experience for me, CBA/NAB wants to include it where as Westpac doesn't seem to care.

Good to see this space picking up again, it was dire for a while there.

19. Rolf Latham

Suggest you seek out the services of a broker that does this stuff

Relying on general advice isnt a good thing in this complicated space

ta
    rolf

kaibo and Paul@PAS like this.
  20. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

1. High level 400-500k, SMSF borrowing calcs are pretty simple as the only real expense (if no other assets) is the mortgage debt at the assessed rate. The income is just net super contributions + rental income. Given the reliance of rental income, the low yield doesn't help too much here.
    2. 90 days is ideal. Longer setts suite SMSF given paperwork/complexities involved.
    3. Set up a bank account, you'll need your team to set up the structure to purchase. The property is isolated from other assets to obtain borrowings. Your acc should be able to advise on timings of this.

kaibo likes this.