SMSF and Contributions

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Tink, 27th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Hopefully the question is framed correctly

Where you have a investment property in your SMSF and contribute personal money from wages to your SMSF, are your concessional contributions included in your tax deductions?

say you contribute $25,000 - does that get reduced for tax purposes by any property tax deductions?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It depends.

The deduction may be non-concessional or concessional and you may or may not be permitted to contribute up to $25K anyway.

I would suggest you need to seek financial advice as there are many issues to the question that cannot be easily addressed.

The issue is also affected by the tax position for the fund prior to the contributions anyway. One of the msitakes DIY SMSF often make is to buy a neg geared property that drains the cashflow from contributions. The tax issue is just 15% so set that aside and be more concerned with consuming contributions to sustain a dud investment.

3. Kent Cliffe

Kent Cliffe Well-Known Member

Negative gearing in a low tax environment, yuck!

4. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

I believe it does but I am not qualified to answer or provide advice.

So if the property produced a net loss of $5k in the smsf, this would be subtracted from the $25k concessional contributions, meaning the 15% tax would apply to $20k. This is what happened in my smsf.

JohnPropChat and Terry_w like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Perhaps. But with two members and only one contributes one members balance may rise and the other falls. The members balance that falls cannot become 0.00 or less.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia