Smoke Alarms (NSW)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by thesuperman, 8th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

What are the decent companies out there to do the yearly inspections of smoke alarms and change them when necessary plus give written reports? I think I remember seeing Smoke Alarms Solutions have a promo before for $99 for 2 years, instead of $99/year. Any others out there cheaper or any others recommended?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are you looking for the lowest price or will they replace the alarm as well at the same time? Are they an electrician or that another call out fee?

3. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

Looking for a smoke alarm company that will do whatever's required to be done for the NSW's legislation. I believe that's putting in a new one if broken, making sure it's no more than 10 years old, replacing batteries at the beginning of tenancies, etc. Also providing written reports that everything is up to NSW's laws. Also would be good if they have 24/7 callouts from the tenant if the alarm suddenly goes off for no reason.

4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

How are smoke alarms tested in properties such as these? Push a little button or smoke bombs to ascertain if the alarm is in the correct location?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Location is according to the State requirements under the BCA. Qld has different requirements (which will eventually flow to other states).

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Thanks. I had a read of BCA 3.7.2 out of interest.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

Are the rules in VIC changing this year? I received an email from my property manager stating " From the 1st July, there is greater responsibility for all Victorian landlords with regards to smoke alarms in rental properties. Landlords must ensure that smoke alarms are installed in the correct position, are serviced annually with batteries changed as required, and at each change of tenancy. The landlord must also provide a instruction manual for each tenant and arrange service immediately if the tenant requests due to a faulty or expired alarm."