Smoke Alarms NSW

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by neK, 14th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I currently pay $69 to 1300-Compliance to "check" my smoke alarms on an annual basis.

However my concern is whether they are actually do this?
    Going through my invoices, I have been billed, but upon inspection I see two smoke alarm holders, but no smoke alarms.

Do i need to have these services?
    I've just replaced the smoke alarm with one of the 10 year sealed battery.
    And also the Fair Trading NSW says its the tenants responsibility to check and advise if the smoke alarm is faulty.

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

No opinions on this?

3. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

If you've paid for a service that has not been provided, I'd be taking it up with them immediately. There's no chance the tenants have taken the smoke alarms or they've been misplaced for some reason?

It is absolutely imperative to ensure there's a working smoke alarm. I'd be asking the property manager to double check at inspections (with photos) - even if it is the tenant's responsibility to check batteries etc for your peace of mind it's worth having it done anyway. Imagine if someone were to die in a fire?

Good decision re: 10-year battery.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The tenants were so lazy they couldn't be bothered to open windows a little to help air the house, as a result the ceiling was full of mould.... like an abandoned house. I was shocked how someone could live like that. PM gave them an order to clean, but they still did and preferred to live with mould on the ceiling. o_O

With that level of laziness, i highly doubt they would have the intelligence to remove a smoke alarm.

5. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

If you arrange for a smoke alarm company to carry out annual checks/change of tenancy checks/repair faults etc and you have a certificate showing this work has been done, then if a tenant takes the alarm down or covers it up with cling wrap, and then a fire takes place, the first thing the Fire Brigade/Police/Insurance will want to see is that certificate. If you have the certificate, you are covered.

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I've never seen this certificate..... maybe i should get one.

7. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I have a great company I can recommend for this task. $99 and they check the smoke alarms on an anniversary date and at the commencement of a new tenancy (no extra charge). They also check and adjust/tag blind cords as part of the price which although maybe technically not required, is an added level of protection.

Even better, the company is run by a couple of NSW fire fighters so they know the legislation like the back of their hand and take it all very seriously. A certificate is provided at the end. Best smoke alarm company I use in the country...my only complaint is that they're not national!

- Andrew

8. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

And the company is... ?

9. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

That would help!

E: [email protected]
    P: 0433 849 646

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Received this in my emails recently. Note that it comes from an interview with one of the big landlord insurance companies.

The requirements vary as to where the responsibility lies for maintenance.

Has anyone considered that this responsibility/cost should be advised to the tenant by the agent and they can opt-in for their own piece of mind? The agent doesn't particularly care who pays as they still have to arrange access with the tenant.