House & Home Smoke alarms going off while we are asleep...?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wylie, 1st Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Twice this past week our smoke alarms have gone off early in the morning (around 5.30am and 6.00am). The first time before I could grab a broom and push the "hush" button it stopped. At least it woke us up. Our son bounded upstairs looking quite startled.

This morning I hit the "hush" button but it may have turned itself off anyway. I'm not sure I actually got the button, so perhaps it just stopped.

My neighbour called me today and said her smoke alarms have been going off several times this past week.

I'm wondering if the humidity and really wet weather might be triggering these alarms.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

2. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

@wylie We had a similar thing happen recently - a spare smoke alarm we had sitting around went off in the middle of the night (a couple of nights in a row).

Ended up being the humidity, we thought / worked out.... we'd go to bed and the living area would gradually heat up / become more humid, and it would go off. After a couple of nights we put it in the freezer sinc we figured we'd not hear it even if it went off in the middle of the night, and then every time we'd open the freezer door it would go off. So that one was ditched. :)

3. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Our smoke alarm went off about 04:30 in the morning a month ago, it was a bit of a shock and, we jumped out of bed. Checked the gas stove, oven ... and nothing. I remember it was a foggy night. A smoke alarm inspector came in for the annual inspection about 2 weeks ago, I asked about it and he mentioned that it has been happening quite frequently lately.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We got new photoelectric smoke alarms a couple of months ago. Four or five weeks ago one went off in the middle of the night. Checked everything but no reason found.
    Marg

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'll blame the anticipation of the end of daylight saving time.

wylie likes this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Happened to us on several occasions - still a mystery. Thought the next door neighbour may have secretly set up a nuclear reactor in their yard.

The Y-man