Smoke alarm service

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by rivers, 8th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rivers

rivers Member

Ok so the property manager keeps hounding me about these $99 /yr smoke alarm services. My question is how many of you actually use these?

I have 3 properties and it starts to add up paying for all these extra services. Changing batteries, cleaning and a test is not rocket science.

Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You have 3 diverse income streams, taken together, they too are substantial.

It's not rocket science but could come down to forensic science in a worst case scenario.

What is your risk management strategy in lieu of engaging someone to so the inspection, testing, replacement & certification?

Gladys, Bradley Peet and wylie like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is an old chestnut with so many threads about DIY or pay someone. If you do a search you will find a lot of reading.

Personally, I've always done them myself, until our son worked as a property manager and made me realise it was a pretty small cost for a professional company who will come out as many times a year as we need.

So I switched over and love that I don't have to drag a ladder over and test them myself. Also learned that whilst we thought we had enough detectors, and thought we had them placed correctly, we did need more.

Also learned that some of our detectors were overdue for replacement.

Tink and Redwing like this.
  4. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

If you're going to do it yourself, definitely make sure you understand and update yourself on the current standards, I had my PM take it upon herself to send someone in to do them, knowingly that I've done them for the past 5 years and when I done them the next time around (2years later) the alarms still had the same marked batteries in them that I had originally installed.

I've also had 2 different companies contradicted themselves with placement of alarms, so if you think they're all being done right, think again.

5. wylie

At least if something bad happens the experts have a case to answer and they have insurance.

Antoni0 likes this.
  6. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

I plan to use a compliance service. I am living abroad so no real choice. But even if I lived local in Brisbane, I probably would still go with a compliance service. My PM is proposing Smoke Alarm Solutions. (https://www.smokealarmsolutions.com...olutions---Pricing-Schedule-February-2019.pdf)

Is $99/$129 pretty much the market price for these compliance services? Who are the other major names in this space - operating in Brisbane?

7. wylie

We've used Smoke Alarms Solutions for several years, but when we upgraded our IPs recently and now have interconnected alarms the price went from $69 to $129 per year.

Reluctantly, we moved to Safe Home Services and are just as happy with them so far (for the same price we were paying).

Owl likes this.
  8. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

I checked their website. They seem to offer a package at $79 ...significantly cheaper than $129 at SAS.

9. Spiralkut

Spiralkut Well-Known Member

It's definitely annoying having to pay every year for multiple properties but I just remind myself I'll get some of it back come tax time.

Gladys likes this.
  10. wylie

Yes, I think I'm paying $79. I didn't understand why the price jumped to $129 with SAS when nothing changed in our houses. It's not like we doubled the number of alarms that need to be tested.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If your alarm setup is compliant as wired and 10 year backup interconnected a annual inspection may be unnecessary. Only required on change of tenant

Tink likes this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Ive had a few agents who push the services hard, however if you tell them to stop sending you them and you are not interested unless they pay for it, they should stop

Tink likes this.
  13. Threebythree

Threebythree Active Member

@wylie - sounds like the upgrade of interconnecting was with SAS but the management went over to Safe Homes?

We are in this position, unsure how '10yr replacement' alarms will go in the future... ie. we co-ordinate with SAS to send tenant their replacement alarm and then get SHS to 'install'

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Also the $99 is a check. If replacement is needed do you get a quote or is it do and charge ?

15. wylie

That's right. Some of ours are wired and some were impossible to wire up. But they all interconnect.

We had a faulty batch, and have had several replaced, but things have settled down now. There was no charge for any of that, apart from the initial cost to upgrade the whole house and add extra alarms to meet upcoming new code.

Threebythree likes this.
  16. Bill2255

Bill2255 Well-Known Member

Given this is necessity, we really need a price list or simple comparison spreadsheet. Cheapest in Sydney we saw was $99. Would love to know who offers for $79.

Also, we are in 4 townhouse strata. Anyone recommend who can do group discount. Really should be like $200 to cover all properties in one go

17. RENI99

RENI99 Well-Known Member

We use it for 3 properties - we dont have the option to do it ourselves due to location but even if we were local we would still use a service. The gas and electrical compliance in Vic is a significant higher price and having to do that every 2 years is going to be a real pain. and no real alternative.

18. Bill2255

Just curious on how does one do the test themselves.
    Reason i ask is that I am in 4 lot townhouse strata where the strata manager mention its owners responsibilty to get it done.
    That is realy hard to track. One owner is retired electrician.

Just curious in case you doing yourself and alarms were installed recently (say last 2-3 years). Then is it matter of just pressing the test button? ( i am assuming there is more involved given every is obligated to pay a professional).

19. wylie

Having four properties in a strata doesn't mean they do them all in one day though.

They need to be done within 30 days of a new lease, and that means each townhouses is of no benefit to being part of four held by the same owner because the leases will not match up.

20. Bill2255

Yes. To be honest, bigger worry is that this is not being done. I spoke to strata manager and they said not responsible as per some by law. However, owners don't know the obligation and just do it informally.

Not sure where to find resource on NSW obligation and where and what needs to be submitted. I know for fact no one is doing anything. So not sure what are penalties and who enforces them, etc.