SMH article - "withdraw money from your redraw now"

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by big_ben02, 19th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

those traditionally high risk borrowers arent necc those that we might think...................

I have been on the the LMI avoidance bandwagon NOT always good thing for a long time............. like 19 years :)

Lo and behold, one of the largest slots of arrears looks to be those at 78 to 80 % lvr at purchase price :)

logic.............. you scrape borrow and steal to avoid paying some LMI to transfer some risk to an LMI provider and hold back say an 8 % buffer.

Noooooooo they are told by well meaning relatives and friends , lmi premiums are thievery, get a personal loan or a big CC and avoid LMI.

Settle with 20 bucks buffer, a bunch of unsecured debt and better still, you know that Income protection thing, humbug, thats a spherical earth, and vaccines voodoo thing, dont consider that.

ta
    rolf

Marty McDonald and alicudi like this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I believe that the article has some (limited) basis of credibility but if the banks just cleared redraws there may be a massive impact on the financial system. Its different to, but not dissimilar to the concept of a bank just taking savings and paying down a loan. And if its a single lender it just invites the person to seek new finance with a different lender to re-access their past equity so it would harm that bank.

A $10K customer ahead of payments is very different to a $500K loan which has been repaid by $499,900 so that a $499.900 redraw exists. It may make sense to the undrawn facilities to be reset to limit lender exposure BUT it seems a major change to T&C for any lender to just end the limit.

I have always questioned if redraws could be managed differently. eg If the lender permitted redraws of say $20K or more only on approval. So that any redraw remained "available" BUT subject to lender approval of things like present employment, income to service or property value changes.

I could see a change like that being more palatable but still unpopular

Last edited: 20th Aug, 2018
  3. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

this was interesting for me, I have an 'offset' account with Pepper Tree which has a monthly fee. It seems this could be more a quasi-offset account that is more like a redrawal. Not saying its likely but it would be a risk if the company goes under

4. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

Scare mongering. If you read the article its talking about CBA's changes to redraw which happened a while back.

If your $500,000 loan has contracted repayments of $2387/ month P&I over 30 years and you put $200,000 into redraw then with CBA your repayments will reduce to $1432 / month. The difference of $955 will come off your available redraw each month. Net effect you pay the loan off in the 30 years regardless of what you then do with redraw.

Their old method had the potential to leave people in technical arrears with massive repayments because the redraw amount was not reduced over time. Using the same example above say after 25 years you redrew the $200,000 this would mean you have 5 years remaining to repay the $200,000 + $129,000 balance owing on the loan at that time. So repayments would jump up to $6059 / month. You can see how this would be a problem.

Most other lenders I know of the P&I repayment never changes so this isn't ever an issue you juts pay the loan off quicker.

What Rolf says is so true.... "loans aint loans" !!

craigc, Phantom, Eric Wu and 3 others like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Yet another reason why a broker can add value

6. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with paying off your loan and have no access to it, force saving
    That why you paid extra repayment in the first is it not? to reduce your debt and eventually wiped it out?

7. Rolf Latham

Thats all good and dandy it thats one intent.

Thats not how redraw is meant to work, the point for MOST people is to park their rainy day money against their mortgage.

i know some people dont have rainy days, but they aint old yet.

ta
    rolf

8. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

You are referring to Cyprus (its a little bit more complicated than that as the money was mainly dirty Russian slush funds....but yep it does happen).

Its called a "bail-in" ....and yep does happen though not often.

Keep in mind it also happened recently with a bitcoin exchange (OKEx) that had a speculator go tits up.....oh you mean you didn't read the fine print on your T&C's contract.....shame about that.
    OKEx Confirms ‘Clawback’ On Huge $400m Bitcoin Position, Introducing New Measures | CryptoGlobe

Some more general "bail-in reading"
    New Financial Crisis Laws: G20 Bank Bail-ins, Money Market Fund Freeze

C-mac and Peter_Tersteeg like this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Um...are you saying fake news exists....or that there are slow news days where you need to fill a void ? :)

10. Rolf Latham

I dont think its " fake"

Its like saying quick, all LOCs are about to be closed off due to liquidity concerns...............................

But why Alice asked the cat, cats said because they can, and so they will.

But why now Alice asked the cat, because the loan contracts say they can.

But why now cat ?

Because its Sunday said the cat.

ta
    rolf

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I just don't pay much attention to journalists these days I see so many things they report as fact being completely wrong when your well versed on any specific thing, it is like being thorough and correct as possible is very optional...and very optional is very loosely used,

Or you see them talk to some expert, say in the property game that may be some pimply faced kid who fancys themselves on tv or in some media, and what they say is repeated/reported as gospel.

But there are some far worse things, but it has you realising they highly likely have the same mode of operation with very important things, and in fact they do.

Anyway, my comment was more of a joke, so don't wind me up :)

12. Rolf Latham

There is an old saying that works well with most human beings

Show me how you deal with your small stuff, and there is a good chance that's how you deal with the big............

Makes for interesting reality when peops look to separate what would work on a mortgage for them. Lucky that Humans are fast learners.

ta
    rolf

13. Paul@PAS

CBA have been named in todays news (SMH). They are planning to sweep redraws and make all loan applicants apply for a new loan to increase present balances from 1st September 2018.

luckyone likes this.
  14. Paul@PAS

For those who may just draw the funds out some care must be taken or future tax deductions could be lost. Cant be mingled with savings. Ideally a clean offset linked to the loan but I imagine CBA will put up blockers to the simple option if someone doesnt have a offset today ?

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Wait, so if I have say, $50K in redraw, I should withdraw it right now? Where would you put it - where its safe and offsetting interest, and untouchable?

Or, I could just start investing those $ elsewhere.

16. Paul@PAS

Depends, Buying shares that dont pay divs is non deductible anyway.

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

It would def be dividend paying stocks. But is the message to clear out the redraw right NOW before it gets locked?

18. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Last edited: 23rd Aug, 2018
    Lacrim likes this.
  19. Rolf Latham

old news

Sensible approach to " good borrower outcomes"

ta
    rolf

hobartchic likes this.
  20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

So a redraw where the minimum repayments stay the same regardless of how much extra is sitting in redraw is not affected under this model, right?