smats

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by ozwanderlust, 26th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

I am an expat, and have had my tax returns done by a tax accountant in Australia. I have been to a couple of seminars by smats (steve douglas) and tempted to check them out for preparing Australian tax returns. Has anyone (I mean expat) used smats for their Australian tax returns? Any feedback would be much appreciated. I found one old thread in the old somersoft forum that someone was not happy with their services - long time non-communication despite promises to reply. I have experienced this with my current tax accountant - taken months to prepare tax returns. Am very unhappy with this timeframe, so looking to change. I have been absent from checking out this forum - after the change from somersoft forum. I have just read a thread by paul@pfi about Australian tax for non-residents. Any expat using pfi for their Australian tax returns (personal, trust and smsf)? Thanks.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Which is better?

To give all your documentation for the previous tax year to the accountant in July and have the tax bill or refund back within weeks or have it prepared and sat on for lodging (& subsequent tax bill) at the latest for submission?

I know that our accountant will delay lodging if there's a bill coming our way.

3. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

Hi Scott
    Not sure what you meant. I would like to see my tax return prepared (in draft for me to check) before I say ok for lodgement at the appropriate time. I do not just sign the tax return.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Does he just delay preparation or hold off submitting?