Smashed Avocado-Gate - Bernard Salt

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by C-mac, 21st Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

In the example Dave suggested taking a lower paid job, many people refuse to take a backwards step (as they see a pay cut) as a matter of pride.

You need to evaluate earning potential and housing wage differentials. Incomes on average are higher in the big cities along with housing. If you can save 5% of your income after living costs on $100k you are saving the same dollar amount as someone saving 10% who is on $50k.

Not saying it doesn't make sense just answering your question.

Also, Barnard Salt will next be telling me to drink NV Champagne to save for a house.

kierank likes this.
  2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Unless there are four different varieties of field mushrooms you are doing it all wrong, you must have saved several deposits by now.

3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Well damn I've been doing it all wrong then, no wonder that photo only got 22 likes on Instagram :( And all I have to show for it is a property portfolio :mad:

Sonamic likes this.
  4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

It was an interesting thought from @Dave3214 I think that a lot of people don't think that way or at least look at things that way. I have a business and if costs are eating into profits then naturally I want to look at shedding costs or increase earnings to keep business going. It's my livelihood afterall. That may mean moving office to somewhere substantially cheaper, from CBD to satellite cities. Property ownership is a bit different I feel. The want v needs at play.

Dave3214 and kierank like this.
  5. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Want vs need is a rational decision. I think avogate was brought about by the difference between rational thought and entitlement mentality.

Magoo, WattleIdo and kierank like this.
  6. larrylarry

I agree...I didn't want to point out the obvious. I must say sometimes people cannot distinguish between need and entitlement, which is fine. People can whine about things. People can do something about it. Companies make money when they solve problems. You keep your job by solving employer's problems.

Stoffo, Perthguy and Gockie like this.
  7. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Are the "part-time drones" you're referring to looking to buy a house? Is the median wage of "$40k something" a useful indicator in gauging affordability?
    The average wage in 1980 was $13.35k (single income).. you bought a house for $21k which is 1.57 x the average income. And you bought with two incomes.. Obviously your incomes at the time were a lot less than the average, but can you give any examples were you can buy at 1.57 x the average income today and be close to Brisbane?

2FAST4U likes this.
  8. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

People shouldn't be so ungrateful, wanting to live close to their work, family and decent community infrastructure. sheesh.

9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

i agree.
    i think ill have that for dinner tonite...and my JW blue label.
    Everyone deserves sauteed mushrooms and a trendy inner sydney pad. ...at least thats what my online dating profile says:):)

Joynz likes this.
  10. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Nothing worse than people who have had it easier lecturing those less well off.

Now you need 2 incomes and pay child care to live even in an ok suburb.

11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

if your referring to my post , i was only joking...
    i am but a humble brisbanite.
    the JW blue label stuff is true though...

Francesco, Magoo and Perthguy like this.
  12. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Nah I didn't mean you, I meant to the thread in general.

It's going to hurt everyone in the end anyway, never going to get the kids to leave home or will have to work forever to help the kids afford a deposit.

PS I'm more of a breakfast burrito kind of guy...

13. larrylarry

In anticipation, I built a GF in my backyard. My kids may have to contend with that!

Magoo and BB5 like this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I have to disagree. There is something worse. It is those "less well off" whinging about those "better off" having it so easy.

I don't know and don't care what the definition those "less well off" and "better off" are.

I don't see any value in whinging. I see real value in getting on with life.

I have written my motto on PC before today but here it is again: Learn the rules, play the game. If they change the rules, change your game".

I have four siblings, some older than me, some younger than me. They still whine about how tough we had it, some 40 to 50 years ago.

I have the highest net worth of all of my family. In fact, my net worth is many multiples the total of my siblings. We all had the same opportunities but I was the only one to take risks, work long hours, invest in 4 businesses, invest in multiple properties, invest in shares, ...

I know mine is not the only family in this situation. I know this is anecdotal but I don't need hard statistics to prove the nothing positive comes out of being negative, whinging, whining, ...

15. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

In defense of the right to be a whinger

When bullied kids make complaints against schoolyard bullies, some dismiss that as whingeing.
    When young people raise the prospect of never being able to afford their own home – bunch of whingers.

When those living in poverty describe the conditions in which they live – whingers.
    And on and on it goes.

Such dismissals often don’t take into account big picture factors like, say, the astronomical rise in property prices, the impact of growing up in a broken home or a life-time of discrimination.

So if those people are whingers, then I say whinging can be important. Yes, whinging can – by focusing on the problem and not the solution – be counter-productive. But it can also be the first step towards fixing a problem or righting a wrong.

Angel likes this.
  16. kierank

"Like crying wolf, if you keep looking for sympathy as a justification for your actions, you will someday be left standing alone when you really need help."
    Criss Jami, Killosophy

"Your complaints, your drama, your victim mentality, your whining, your blaming, and all of your excuses have NEVER gotten you even a single step closer to your goals or dreams. Let go of your nonsense. Let go of the delusion that you DESERVE better and go EARN it! Today is a new day!"
    Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience

"If you took one-tenth the energy you put into complaining and applied it to solving the problem, you'd be surprised by how well things can work out... Complaining does not work as a strategy. We all have finite time and energy. Any time we spend whining is unlikely to help us achieve our goals. And it won't make us happier."
    Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

"People who complain about something that they cannot do anything about are as irritating as those who complain about something that they can do something about."
    Mokokoma Mokhonoana, N for ******: Aphorisms for Grown Children and Childish Grown-ups

Cactus and MikeyBallarat like this.
  17. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

You sound like you have a right chip on your shoulder.

Hey just acknowledge your generation had it easier to get on the property ladder than the current generation and move on.

In other ways you probably had it worse but definitely not in terms of buying property.

LibGS likes this.
  18. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Plenty of people have bought a property when they were in their early 20s, some like @Leo2413 got his when he was 18.

I wasn't gifted or inherited any money and I am in a financially better position from my cousins some again are older and some are younger. The younger ones are no where near as mentally in tune with understanding money besides the 'spend less than I earn' and I am not some have grasped this concept.

I am 30 and @Leo2413 is slightly older (34 IIRC) than me but his wealth is exponentially higher than mine, I don't know 100% of his history so I can't confirm if he has or hasn't been gifted/inherited money but he has done a lot more with property than I have and he has gotten better results than I have. Yes I am working towards what Leo and others have done but I am on my own journey and enjoying it but I would rather be in my position than some of my other cousins.

Complaining will yield very little benefit on this forum, it is better to get on with the job (so to speak) than to complain.

I am purchasing another property as we speak which some are very much aware of and this would give me over 1M in debt... Scary thought and telling my cousins that they will think I am stupid, one of us will be right and I hope it is me :D.

Cactus, Toon, samiam and 6 others like this.
  19. Magoo

Magoo Well-Known Member

I purchased my first property during Paul Keating's tenure as treasurer when he was pitching to Australian's " the recession we had to have ". There was nothing easy about 17% interest rates.

kierank likes this.
  20. kierank

Nope. I had a look - no chips there.

I have noticed that whingers (like my siblings) have rather large lumps on their shoulders. I have spent hours trying to help them to remove those lumps and get on with life but they would rather whine.

I don't think any generation has it easy. Some get on and do it (like me); others whinge about it (like my siblings).

You won't find me whinging about it. I just accept it as it is and get on with life.