Smart/digital lock in apartment - fire compliance

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Sovereign, 18th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sovereign

Sovereign Member

Hi all,

I've just purchased an apartment and I'm interested in installing a fingerprint/keypad lock. I know that only a few digital locks are fire compliant.

I contacted the firm that does fire/safety inspections for this block and they said any lock is fine because my door is not a fire door. It is an apartment, but the unit opens on to a walkway that is outside and not an internal area

I've spoken with several locksmiths and about half said they won't install anything except the lockwood 001 touch because all apartments need fire compliant locks. I told them I had approval from the fire compliance firm, but the locksmiths said the firm's response didn't make sense and as soon as strata changed firms I'd be noncomplaint.

I want to install the Lockly Secure Plus, but don't want to have to uninstall it down the track if it turns out the fire compliance firm is incorrect.

I'd appreciate any experience or guidance on this.

Cheers

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have you confirmed that the door isn't a fire door (physically checked that there is no tag on the door or jamb) & it's not required to be a fire door if it becomes subject to a fire order to upgrade it? If it is required to be upgraded, the lock would still need to be compliant if reinstalled.

The inside must be able to be operated in a single handed movement.

The lockly website is useless - no specs or details on fire rating if you needed to install in a fire door. Your can only use the latched version not the deadbolt version.

3. Sovereign

Sovereign Member

I'm fairly confident it isn't a fire door based on the lack of tags anywhere, it being quite flimsy, and the frame being timber.

As for if it should be a fire door, I'm just going off what the inspector said, who noted that because it's not an internal door it doesn't have to be. However, I'll try and find the legislation to confirm.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It is illegal to alter a fire door or its latch or lock mechanism hinges and jambs. The building is starta and that door is strata property. The building would not comply with Fire code. You will be liable for the breach and its rectification. And its shockingly expensive. The classification of the building will determine the extent of the fire rating that may save someone's life. Even the base of the door must fit the floor. Typically a combo system will NOT fit a standard hole and latching and require a new door and closer and all elements of the system. Speciality architectural hardware is required and only know of some hotel grade systems that comply. HUGE cost. The door will have a metal certification plate. Usually inside the hinge side.

Two main kinds of fire doors are commonly used in strata schemes: Sole Occupancy Unit Fire Rating Level -/60/30, and Common Property Fire Door -/120/30. Let’s unpack what these numbers stand for:

• The dash (-) at the start refers to the door’s structural adequacy. What this basically means is that the door is non-load-bearing, yet still able to provide insulation protection.
    • The first number refers to the door’s integrity, or how long it will inhibit flames for. The Common Property Fire Door, then, is designed to inhibit flames for 120 minutes, or two hours.
    • The second number represents how long the door should not increase in temperature in the presence of fire. Both kinds of doors mentioned are designed to stay cool for 30 minutes.
    Regulations regarding fire doors

The Building Code of Australia (BCA) requires that qualified fire safety consultants undertake regular inspections of fire doors in strata schemes. For Common Property Fire Doors, this process should take place every six months; for Sole Occupancy Unit Fire Doors, an annual check-up will suffice.

For strata schemes in NSW, fire doors are also not allowed to have deadbolts ora self latching mechanism of any form beyond what is allowed when the building was certified. This is because this prevents doors from self-latching. In addition, according to Australian Standard AS1851(2005), there must be no gaps between fire doors and their containing frames, as this can allow fire and smoke to pass through and breach the compartment.

Of course, each and every fire door must be adorned with the appropriate signage that says, “Fire Door – Do Not Obstruct – Do Not Keep Open”. This sign must be securely fastened to each door, and any doors that also function as exits are required to have this sign on both sides.

5. Sovereign

Sovereign Member

Thank you for the detailed response, Paul.