Small studio above garage

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by noneother, 12th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. noneother

noneother Well-Known Member

Hi brains trust

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on any flaws or opinions on a potential studio above my garage. It's not very big so I wanted to maximise the space with some adjustments (green rectangles) such as:
    • replacing a standard stair case with a spiral,
    • potentially including a micro kitchen, and
    • changing the layout of the bathroom shower and storage to be more space saving (not sure how though and would love to hear some ideas).
    Any other thoughts on how the layout can be improved?

layout1Glebe.PNG

Thanks in advance

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Straight stairs, even though they may take up more floorspace will follow the rake of the roof to achieve the required head clearance whereas a spiral staircase would need to land in the middle of the room including impacting more on the garage.

noneother likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What is the purpose of the studio? Rent out as AirBNB or your own use?

noneother likes this.
  4. noneother

noneother Well-Known Member

Will ideally for long term tenancy, but if not suitable then Airbnb.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I agree with @Scott No Mates that the way they have designed the staircase is probably best instead of a spiral. It has minimal impact in the garage and will be much easier to get furniture up than a spiral staircase.

You might be able to make the shower smaller but as it's probably partly raked ceiling the current size of it is probably not that huge when you consider full height part of it. My only suggestion is that the toilet might be better in the raked area as you sit or stand in front of it so don't need full height there. If you can rearrange the bathroom so that a cavity slider can be used then it will seem larger and more practical than having a door swing into it.

The whole area is hotel room sized so you're not going to be able to fit a lot. A small kitchen like you'd have in uni/hotel accomodation would be nice if you want to rent it out as self contained - a bar fridge, sink, portable induction hotplate and maybe a convectiion microwave is about all you're going to fit. Not sure if you'd fit a washing machine so that might need to go in the garage.

Picture for kitchen inspo - though I don't know how they have managed the waste of the kitchen sink because it would surely go down through where the dishwasher is. They much have run it to the side wall and then down.

[​IMG]

noneother likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is it legal to rent such a space? That would be the first question.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

BTW I think you should make the sill in the bathroom flat/level rather than sloped as it's drawn. If it's flat it can be used like a extra deep window sill/benchtop for extra area to place things on. Then you can definitely get away with using a wall hung basin with perhaps a mirrored shaving cabinet for storing a few things.
    If the roof slope in the shower section allows the shower to be pushed closer to the window end you might have enough space to put a robe/cupboard at the other end opening into the main studio area

noneother likes this.