Small road construction

Discussion in 'Development' started by TFE, 5th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TFE

TFE Active Member

hi all,

I have a property that has a dirt road at the rear of the block with a asphalt street ending about 20 meters away from it. I have called the council town planner about it and have the requirements of what is needed, however they were unable to give me an idea of the cost or a recommend a company to talk to.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with road construction and the costs involved or can recommend what sort of company I need to contact? If the cost is reasonable, it would open up a lot of options for me having a big dual access block.

The property is in Logan.

Cheers

2. g-dub

g-dub Well-Known Member

What type of road needs to be constructed? Sealed asphalt? Concrete with kerb and gutter? How long?

There are a few variables. The longer it is the better economies of scale. Could be around $50-100 per square metre.

Google a driveway builder or a concreter.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

More likely to be better off with a small civil contractor like Spencers Asphalt.

g-dub and bob shovel like this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Even a local engineering development company. They'll be familiar with specs and companies to contract it out to. Or they could project manage the lot for you. ..why diy when you can get someone else to do it ;)

5. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I'm not really clear about what you're trying to do here, but here are some rates that might help you...

The last project I did, I think site clearing was about $12k/ha (ha = 10,000sq.m), excavation was about $30/cu.m, 250mm road base was about $20/sq.m and tarmac was around $25/sq.m, but that was for about 32km of new roads in the Pilbara (not housing stuff).

I'd probably double those rates for a small job. $100/sq.m is probably a good starting point but since your property is in a residential area you might also need to consider allowances for street lighting and kerbing and storm-water drainage. add another $150/sq.m...

6. bob shovel

I was thinking the other way. Half your rates being the pilbara then double for a small job ;)

7. Scott No Mates

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

8. bob shovel

Three fifths of ....

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Maybe once upon a time... :)

10. TFE

TFE Active Member

Thanks for the replies. Bit more info is that it is an asphalt 3/4 width road with curbing. Basically a developer about 120 meters up the road is paving to the boundary of his property, then it is remaining a dirt road to the back or my property. I was thinking of seeing if the owners of the neighbouring properties would be interested in contributing to complete the new street down to the next cross street (which is the street about 20m from me mentioned in the first post)

I contacted the local member who seemed interested in helping contact the neighbours, as originally the developer was going to complete the full road all the way to the cross street and at the last moment pulled out due to cost. I have attached a picture of the requirement for the developers road. I am assuming if I go ahead there will be similar requirements

Attached Files:

11. Scott No Mates

Sounds like you're the bunny who has to stump up the costs to construct the access to your property rather than each owner paying their share. Getting the proportionalcosts from the neighbours may be difficult.

12. TFE

TFE Active Member

Well I wouldn't be paying to do the whole road if there was no contributions from the neighbours. I'm right near the cross road, so according to the town planners I would only have to build a 3/4 road from the cross road to the edge of my property which is a total of around 20-30 meters. This would then block the owners inbetween the 2 paved parts of the road (and they all use the dirt road) I would prefer not to do this as being Logan I'm likely to get firebombed.. hah

jim1964 likes this.
  13. g-dub

g-dub Well-Known Member

Wow seems it's a bit bigger than the driveway I had originally thought! I still can't quite picture the actual scope of what you're doing though...

Are you sure the developer pulled out due to cost? I presume the road construction would have been part of their development consent conditions to which they must comply.

I assuming this is a public road corridor, not a private laneway? In the first instance I would talk to your local member about council upgrading the road, with the support of your neighbours, rather than you all forking out for the road.

I'd speak to a civil engineering consulting that has experience in road design if you'd like to get an idea of what is involved/costs etc. At a minimum you'd need survey, geotechnical investigation, pavement design, stormwater design, signage and linemarking, street lighting, road design, cost estimate...

Phase2 likes this.