Small kitchen Reno - 60cm 4 Burner vs 30cm 2 burner

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Wutang Financial, 9th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Wutang Financial

Wutang Financial Member

Hi All,

After opinions on the impact of installing a two burner gas cook top rather than the more common four burner units in regards to tenant appeal/ resale value?

The kitchen is very small so the two burner would provide additional bench top space for food prep.

Its a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom cottage so target tenant or buyer will likely be a couple or single.

Any opinions or experience greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I personally like your thinking about more bench space. I can honestly say that i would almost never want any more than two burners, but then I am not your typical consumer. It might freak them out.

What demographic? How much rent will the tenant be spending?

3. Wutang Financial

Wutang Financial Member

Hi Angel,

Would be asking $400-450/week in rent. Target demo is likely young professionals due to the close proximity to the city. I cannot recall a time I have ever used more than two burners but as you said I don't want to freak anyone out.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You may not have used more than 2 burners at a time, but how often do you a front and back burner one behind the other? Its cramped and hard to use. You can easily increase bench space with a trolley.

a horizontal 2 burner is one thing, but guess your thinking about a vertical 2 burner.

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2020
    Joynz likes this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My 60cm stove with pans for two adults who usually eat at home. The Uber Eats crowd may not care, and others can always use the spare space with a board across the unused burners.

Attached Files:

6. lettert

lettert Well-Known Member

I'd go with the norm rather than taking a risk - are two burners common in similar rentals?
    Counter space is something you realize after you've moved in, but number of burners will be a negative during inspections imo

craigc, wylie and Angel like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Really depends on the demographic - a 2 bedder is generally a 'family' home, even if in the inner city. If it were me, I'd stick with convention with a conventionally sized cooktop & underbench oven (I hate the range-type all in one units). If it were a one bedder/bedsit, then a dual cooktop and microwave would suffice.

If you need a dishwasher, there are 3/4 dishwashers (about 450mm wide which still hold umpteen place settings).

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I can see the logic in getting the smaller cooktop to save on space, but I think the "weirdness" factor would outweigh the benefits if you're trying to attract tenants or for value in an eventual sale.

It's something I'd do for my own personal home only really. Or as part of a very custom designed tiny house or something.

9. Wutang Financial

Wutang Financial Member

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I think based on the feedback we will stick with a four burner. If I was going to live in the house forever I would do the the 2 burner but I agree this may limit appeal for resale/tenants. Cheers

lettert likes this.