Small clothesline system - feedback & help needed

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Mel Morgan, 10th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Hi guys,

A friend of mine has spent the better part of last decade patenting a clothesline system and since he is in his 70s he has asked me for help with selling it.

Here's a bit about the clothesline:
    - wall mount folding type, designed for small spaces (a bit like pictured but different) upload_2018-3-10_19-48-27.png
    - difference is this is held on via 4 small clips, which can be glued or screwed onto any flat surface (could work for balconies, metal, cladding, caravans etc)
    - can fold down flat but also entire frame is removed very quickly and stored or clipped onto another set of clips elsewhere (ie use on a balcony and also backyard depending on where sun is) once clipped in it is incredibly strong. His prototype from 20yrs ago is still going strong.
    - lightweight, durable, currently fully made in Australia

There are currently 200 pre-made with a wholesale price of $130.

So my questions are:
    1) Do you think there is a market for this type of product? Anyone gone through challenges of looking for a fixed balcony clothesline etc?

2) Any ideas on how to sell the current 200? Longer term he is looking at a retail direction with overseas manufacturing, but he needs the funds from selling these ones in order to move forward.

I think its a good product, easy to use, but a bit niche. What do you guys think?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

1. Yes, I'd imagine you'll have buyers.
    2. Trade shows, home shows? Youtube video then sell via Facebook advertising.
    If you can get shelf space in Bunnings (and other national hardware chains) I would say that's the holy grail.

I'd love to see a video of it.

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I suppose if his number 1 target is balconies then it will have issues as many body corporates/stratas ban washing on balconies and/or being visible. It doesn't stop many people but it is breachable and putting the clips onto balcony walls which are owned by body corporate would be problematic.

If he wants to sell then there is a co-op sort of bulk buy website called buymythings.com.au which might be a good way to get it out there. I know they sometimes sell washing lines as I saw a cool one on there which I liked Brabantia WallFix Foldaway Clothesline with Protection Cover

Excalibur1 and Stoffo like this.
  4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Set up a simple website and sell them online. Small budget for AdWords, small budget for Facebook. Do a video which quickly explains what the advantages of it are over traditional models.

Not a huge market for this kind of thing though, you can buy a small fold down line for under $100 or you can buy a portable airer from any department store or Bunnings for $13. There is your competition...

Morgan 20 Rail Coated Wire Clothes Airer

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Has he got it patented? How long ago? If it was 20 years ago it's likely passed the time limit and as soon as it gets out there a large company will copy it and mass produce.
    Get the IP (intellectual property ) details in order then start knocking on doors.
    I've spoken with patenteur before and were great help. Also a company in Sydney for design and production but i can't think of the name

Look to getting it licenced and let the big companies do the hard work and get a cut!

6. Mel Morgan

Trade shows etc are pretty expensive to get into. Yes Bunnings is the holy grail but they'd want to see supply chain and need stable bulk manufacturing first.

I need to make a video of it..

7. Mel Morgan

I think the patent was only in the last 3-4yrs. He's got aus production down, but he's still worried about knockoffs if he starts with online without much volume (yet he wants me to sell these 200).

8. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Any patent is worth Jack unless your prepared to defend it. $$$.

bob shovel likes this.
  9. Mel Morgan

He was thinking it could be installed at 1m balustrade height so its not really visible, but good point on putting the clips onto common property, although wouldn't stop someone say hanging plants on the walls.

I'll check out the website, thanks!

10. Mel Morgan

He doesn't want to sell it online, but its likely the best option. I'm thinking about approaching the couple online clothesline websites - who knew they even existed.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Howard Storage?

12. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I have a brabantia wall clothesline and it stick out too far....
    I hope this helps

13. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Jess Peletier likes this.
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If it's caravan friendly as mentioned then a caravan and camping show booth might also be an idea.

charttv likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I can't see the appeal - but then again, my current clothesline is a length of rope strung between two trees ... and, today it's raining so the clothes are on a fold out (from flat) clothes horse under the veranda.

As said, caravan and camping shows - or even contact the caravan companies direct as they may want to offer it as an "add on" - although weight is not so much about the line itself, but the clothes that hang on it ... so need to ensure it wouldn't pull out of whatever it's attached to.

Not much point hanging a clothesline below balustrade height, as you'd have no room to hang "from" it.

I dunno - pity he spent so long developing something that doesn't really have a market that isn't already covered in some form

Excalibur1 likes this.
  16. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

There is a market for it, here's why:
    1. Current wall mounted clothesline are extremely hard to mount on weatherboard. Most of my investment properties are weatherboard and it was really difficult to wall mount.
    2. Because of #1, have to resort to mounting on poles which is an extra cost of $30 on top of the $70 for the clothesline. Factor in labour to put that together, dig holes and cement and I am buying a portable clothesline instead.
    3. Portable clothesline takes up floorspace which is limited particularly in an apartment, granny flat.

I would definitely buy one. Seriously once you get a site up, I would literally buy one for one of my granny flats. Can just give to the tenant and they can sort it out easily and they won't complain about using a portable.

17. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother with trade shows personally (worked in B2B area). Pick up the phone and start talking to hardware buyers and/ or talk to them at their retail showrooms.

Might want to consider shark tank - though at the moment their really is no investment opportunity.

He needs to get in front of buyers for retailers and that takes a lot of sweat equity. At 70 something he probably does not want to do that himself.

He can contact a distributor with a sales network or do the B2B (business to business) work himself.

18. Mel Morgan

Hi Rowan, PM me if you want one now, as the owner wants to sell his current stock so he can take production overseas. $130 each now, but likely to go up to $199 retail. Website is www.lineking.com.au

I agree there is a market for it, its just very hard to get in front of the right people. He was hoping I could do it, but I don't have the contacts for it unfortunately, so currently he is going to visit carravan parks to sell one at a time as there was a lot of interest there previously.

19. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

still better to get a patent even if you don't have the means to litigate. it is to protect yourself and in case you get the means later you can decide to go against the competition later

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Why doesn't he just do a camping/4wd show