Business Banking & Finance Small business loan length

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Tony Fleming, 20th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Hey just wondering if anyone knows the maximum term length you can have on a business loan <500k. Not sure if it matters but its a franchisee loan if that effects anything. Thanks on advance

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It would depend on the loan type. For instance, a loan to buy a business which is in a leased premises will be limited by the length of the lease.

3. SonOfTrigger

SonOfTrigger Well-Known Member

I think from memory when I bought a business there were 16 years left on the lease for the premises so the bank would only go to 15 years for a business loan.

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I was trying to sell a business which only had three years left in the lease. I put a low price, but a condition that a lease renewal would prompt an extra payment. This went through OK.

5. imbi3

imbi3 Well-Known Member

Depends if the particular franchise is accredited with the bank. You could possibly get 10 years or remaining of the lease term. If you are secured by residential property, you could possibly get up to 30 years. Happy to discuss further if needed