Small Build / Renovation - Under 25k Job Questions

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tenex, 20th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

The job I have is separation of two existing occupancies which I have posted on before on Somersoft.

It has council approval and also the construction certificate ready to go.

It is an easy job and the most complicated part of it is to ensure the fire separation between the two occupancies has the right rating and covers from floor to top.

The rest is a new kitchenette,separating the one big bedroom into two bedrooms, some doors and windows, fences, and creating a concrete carport at the front.

The whole thing costs under 25 k.

I have been recommended a guy from a relative who has done a few small jobs in commercial areas next to where they are.

Although he appears ok, he has an expired builders license and he is using a couple of different ABN numbers which dont put out a good vibe. I am tossing if a job of this magnitude is too risky to give him or not.

Long story short finding another builder is going to be a long process which may lead into losing money by having the place vacant for quite some time as we are approaching Christmas.

I would imagine for projects under 50k there may not be as much of a need to be strict? are there any potentials that can go wrong?

Elives likes this.
  2. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

sounds very interesting, can you share somersoft link?

Tenex likes this.
  3. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I will have a look through my username on Somersoft, frankly I cant even remember my password :). There was not a lot in terms of the build a few months ago because back then I was getting approvals.