Small bathroom - layout ideas?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by housechopper2, 2nd Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Hi folks, I'd be grateful for some ideas on the ideal layout for our rental property renovation in a very small bathroom.

Attached is the current layout - with a small bath, small shower (750mm square) and small vanity. This is in a 2bdr IP we intend to retain, and do not need a bath. So we are looking to maximise the space for a shower and vanity only.

We had thought of putting a shower with tiled base at the end of the room where the vanity is currently. But unsure on the feasibility of this given there is a steel-framed highlight window there and concerns for the window sill rotting over time if it is part of a shower.

Any thoughts welcome! Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

Is the door hinged? Presumably yes. First thing I would do is replace with cavity slider.

I would leave shower in place and install shower with tiled floor. Say 900mm x 1200mm. I would remove the bath, and install a wall-to-wall vanity to replace the existing vanity. Towel rail on left wall.

Beano, ellejay and housechopper2 like this.
  3. housechopper2

Thanks - yes the door is hinged so the cavity slider is a great idea!

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I just went to the (new style?) Ikea bathroom planner. I came up with this and if you can make the bottom left hand corner a slider then you can fit a shower the whole width of the room with an off the shelf glass shower screen (say 1m long) that means no door required.

Cavity slider in the bottom right hand corner sliding left to right.

1m vanity will leave 40cm for a dirty clothes basket between vanity and shower glass.

Cutting the shower shorter than the full room width is possible but this way you save a lot on glass (one sheet only) and it will make the room feel spacious and luxurious.

If the window is high enough not to be hit by the shower, I'd swap it out to louvres to look modern (what does it look like now?).

Attached Files:

5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

shower.png

Something like this (maybe flip 180 degrees to suit your room)

6. housechopper2

Thanks @wylie - I didn’t realise that Ikea had that app! And that layout will look really classy.

I only have an external pic of the window at the moment. It’s quite high up but I think there is a wooden windowsill inside, so there’s still a good chance that water will splash on to it and cause issues.

By adding louvres do you mean replacing the whole window frame with glass louvres (with aluminium frame?)? Or louvres on the inside of the window?

Any ideas on protecting the windowsill?

Attached Files:

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is it an aparment or place where you can't change the window?

I would just get a new window as part of the renovation as I often have windows in showers and they are fine.

Go with @wylie s plan but if you want get a double vanity if you like even more storage

8. housechopper2

Its in a single level villa unit - so I can just replace the window as part of the renovation - thanks for the advice.

9. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

Are there any legal limitations for this setup with the shower next to the window like that?

I could do something similar in my bathroom, though the bottom edge of the window is at my eye level. Would I need to rip off the window trim, and have it fully tiled so there is no timber rot?

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd do away with the bath, if need be, put a toilet in the room as well after all, the plumbing is in the ground anyway.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  11. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

Yuk, cavity slide doors are atrocious.. they fall off the rails and stay off, what's wrong with leaving it a hinged? Extend the vanity and replace bath with WC.
    I say no to cavity sliding doors cause tenants won't care if they fall off

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've never had one fall off its hinges. For a small room, they save a lot of space that is lost because a hinged door needs space to open.

craigc, AndyPandy and significance like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Poorly adjusted sliders go off the rails, a decent (Henderson) track will do the job properly. Hinged doors take up valuable space in small rooms (absolutely no logic there as 700mm is still required in front of the door regardless).

AndyPandy likes this.
  14. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Nice thread revival

rizzle likes this.
  15. Thomacino

Maybe my childhood trauma is the reason for my biased views of a sliding door..
    I just dislike it due to privacy maintenance odours etc.
    If its IP sure wouldn't care much for it..
    But the replacement of the bath to a WC solves the issue irrespective of a sliding/hinged door

16. significance

significance Well-Known Member

I've had sliders in two homes and they have never given me any trouble. What are your privacy and odour concerns? I'm not sure why either would be an issue?

Sliding bathroom doors are also a very common feature in hotel rooms, to save space. So presumably well installed sliders are not too much of a maintenance issue even with careless short-term tenants.

17. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

See a therapist and get over it, sliding doors are amazing for small spaces.

Angel and Optimus like this.
  18. Thomacino

Not so much an 'issue', personally I don't like sliding doors, just a personal preference.

I'd imagine it cost more then a straightforward hinged door, if it was a cavity brick wall? or does the door go in/outside the wall? There there the visible rail..

The sliding door I had for the living room/dining divider was on a single steel rail without a proper stopper, and every time the door swung too much, BAM fall off..
    I'm sure the development of sliding doors has greatly improved over 20 years, but yeh, preference.. maybe for a theatre room? yeh nah.... I'd stick to a double hinged door.. no sliding for me thanks.

Plus the gap between the sliding door.. dunno, but if i had to drop a number 2 with a sliding door bathroom, I'd pass if I could hold it!

If sliding doors saved that 700mm clearance, why aren't bedroom doors a sliding one??

Any solid recommendations for a therapist to assist with my sliding door problems? losing sleep here....

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Did you know that cavity sliders go inside the wall cavity. They cannot possibly fall off as there would be nowhere for them to go.

Optimus likes this.
  20. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Hence the word "cavity"

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF