Small additional investment loan

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Angelar, 21st May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angelar

Angelar Active Member

Hi guys,

We need to borrow ("cash out") a couple hundred thousand dollars and already have over $1m in borrowings at < 50% LVR. We're having trouble getting a broker to show much interest in obtaining the single small loan, without refinancing the entire portfolio.

Now, I completely understand the comms on $1.3M are better than on $200 - $300K and we were happy to do the full refi, but the reality is, we're struggling to service the entire $1.3M but could seemingly service a small loan through a second or third tier lender, just the interest fades when the rest of the refinance is taken off the table.

Any advice? Should we just approach a lender on our own? I ran it through Peppers servicing calc which shows adequate borrowing capacity on the small loan, I know their reputation is not great though. Feel like this is getting ridiculous, hoping the APRA changes may help but this has been dragging on for a year now and getting completely frustrated.

Also wondering, if we have a loan approved, say through Pepper, is there any issue leaving it undrawn for a number of months without them reclaiming it and cancelling the borrowings?

TIA.

2. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

So there’s multiple securities? You can hive one off and do the cashout on that?

I’d say that issue or another is the reason why you can’t get a broker to do this. I’d be surprised if it was only about the commission.

Angelar likes this.
  3. Angelar

Angelar Active Member

It may not be just about the commission. Yes there is are multiple securities but there is one title free and clear which could be used with a new lender.

tobe likes this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

when borrowing you would generally find lenders unwilling to take a second mortgage behind another bank. So if you cannot get the existing lender to lend more you might have to refinance the lot - assuming you are not talking about borrowing against an unencumbered property

5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

If the cash out funds are going to sit in an offset account you'll need to be ready to pay fee for service or the broker won't get paid at all. Could explain the lack of enthusiasm. :)

Angelar likes this.
  6. Angelar

Angelar Active Member

Thanks Terry, yes there is one unencumbered property which could be used.

Yes very true, that's why I was happy to refi the whole lot so there was a payment there for the broker. Seems I may be stuck in the rock and hard place and should probably just approach a non-bank myself and hope it doesn't destroy my credit rating if there are issues.

7. Angelar

Angelar Active Member

Or look for a fee for service broker I guess, do these even exist?

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

most brokers are ok to run fee for service where no comm is paid

ta

rolf

Angelar likes this.
  9. Angelar

Angelar Active Member

What is the general clawback period these days?

10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

100 % for < 12 mths

50 % for 1 18 mths

but in your case its 100 % regardless

Generally lenders wont pay on unused cash out

Its for your benefit :)

ta
    rolf

11. Angelar

Angelar Active Member

Ah thanks Rolf, I see, so it would need to be drawn straight away to avoid the loss of commission.
    Do you know, if I go directly, is there any risk of the lender withdrawing the loan say 6 months in if it hasn't been drawn by then? Just tossing up the possible cost and risk of the various options.

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Can’t the broker who arranged your existing loans help you?
    Marg

13. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hiya

Jess might have hit the nail on the head above.

If the funds are going to sit in an offset or redraw - then there's no payment to the broker for their work.....and if you have multiple properties it's not going to be an easy application to prepare/submit. If you were willing to pay a fee for service you might find someone willing to assist.

Cheers

Jamie

Angelar likes this.
  14. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We do fee for service when required.

Angelar likes this.
  15. Angelar

Angelar Active Member

Thanks Jamie, just wondering if you could clarify, would multiple properties add more work if it's only one loan on one currently unencumbered property with a new lender while leaving the others untouched?

16. Angelar

Angelar Active Member

He's gone MIA and I've had others have a look at it who generally lose interest when the servicing on the full portfolio becomes too tight. Happy for the clarity from here on the reasoning so at least I can work on getting around it rather than keep spinning my wheels :)

17. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

No worries.

Multiple properties create more complex applications.

There's more number crunching (it can take ages to run servicing calcs for a client with multiple IP's) and generally a lot more paperwork involved - even when there's only one security/loan involved.

Cheers

Jamie

Angelar likes this.
  18. Angelar

Angelar Active Member

Thanks Jamie, that makes sense given it will still all need to be considered as far as servicing goes for the new loan.

Fingers crossed the APRA changes loosen up enough to bring us in the realm of being able to refi the entire portfolio in a couple of months, which will give us better rates and facilities anyway, so I'll give it a last go then, otherwise I'll look at the other fee for service etc options.

Thank you all for your help, it's been very helpful as usual :)

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia