WA Sloping blocks

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JohnPropChat, 8th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

1. Some suburbs in Perth have a lot of sloping blocks. Though the suburb itself is above sea-level would these blocks be prone to localized flooding if there was heavy rain or something?

2. If buying a sloped block how much extra do I have to factor in for construction costs?

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, additional costs for sure.
    My block in Spearwood sloped away from the road, front to rear 1.5 mtre- 2.5 mtre, the cost of retaining etc. came in at $35,000.

The other issue to consider is if the block slopes away from the road it could impact on end values because most people like slightly elevated block.

You can read my thread on SS (Spearwood) regarding this and view elevation/façade, I spent a little more on this so buyers would be attracted to the property and ignore the negative, a sloping block.

No idea about sea-level stuff, though with my block Council required additional draining to prevent flooding to the house, of course more cost involved, not huge for this though.

There are ways to cut costs where you employ your own retaining guy etc, however most builders wont be interested in this.

MTR

JohnPropChat likes this.
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

My PPoR was built on the slopes of Arthurs Seat down here on the Mornington Peninsula.

The front of the house and the garage are downhill from the road, so all the rain flows down the driveway and into the drains in the concrete.

The sides of the house are crushed rock paths, with an area of lawn at the back levelled with a retaining wall.

This winter was one of the wettest for a very long time, and our house had no problems whatsoever.

Don't know what the extra cost for slope builds would be, but at a guess I'd say at least $20k - excavation, extra concrete for footings etc.

JohnPropChat likes this.
  4. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

There is often money to be made in (significantly) sloping blocks. Turns a lot of people off through fear/too much hassle. Just completed a build on a sloping block/cliff. Initial costs in excavation and driveway was 120k but well worth the money made down the track.

JohnPropChat and MTR like this.
  5. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

Agreed, I bought an absolute bargain sloping block a few years ago, obviously it scares many punters off, mainly because all volume builders are too rigid to build anything other than slab houses. I built a split level house which uses the slope of the land instead of spending big money on retaining walls etc. Not only is the front of the house at road level but out back I have an elevated deck with great views.

Idiot next to me with same slope did the traditional cut and fill slab house, his house is about 4m below road level with a steep driveway, all you see of the house is the roof from street level, fail.
    The bloke opposite me (with a slope upwards) built a massive and expensive retaining wall to get a level pad, the result being he has a driveway that give you a nose bleed as you drive up it as it's so steep. Funny thing is in the end the cost of all his retaining walls and massive drive ended costing as much if not more than my split level design which looks and functions 100x better.

clint05, WattleIdo, Rich2011 and 3 others like this.
  6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Building costs will be more, but as above, really depends on how you do it.

JohnPropChat likes this.
  7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@JohnPropChat

As other forum member mentioned, slopes can work in Developers favour.

All you need is creative building designer that works and understand sites with slope.

JohnPropChat likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I recently offloaded a sloping site which had been designed over 4-5 split levels.

Purchaser has submitted S96 to modify floor levels, (retain building envelope - walls), nosebleed driveway, 2 regular slabs and traditional hipped roof.

He's cut about $100k out of the build but probably $200-300k off market value.

The end result is a bog standard boring house.

larrylarry and JohnPropChat like this.
  9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Hi all

Are you able to post pictures of your development on sloped blocks? Thanks so much.

@Plucka @MTR I tried searching "spearwood" but can't seem to find the thread dealing with sloping block.

Last edited: 10th Nov, 2015
  10. larrylarry

Have you developed any on sloping blocks?

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

1. if the slope is down from the road then yes they will need additional 'features' to stop water coming into the house such as agi drain in front of garages, more soak wells, trafficable drains in driveway etc to reduce run off.

2. depending on the slope and the design and the size of the block will determine how much it costs. Might only be $10k - might be $50k. The denser the yield (ie the more things you put on the block the more retaining you will need.

Things to note:
    • From talks with @Aaron Sice and @sanj there once was a development site that looked pretty good but it had constantly had run off from the street go into it and was thorougly contaminated. You might not want that block at the bottom of a T junction.
    • using split level, undercroft garages and good design can turn a slopey site into a good site
    • blocks that slope up from the road still need retaining but are more popular.

12. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

My sister's place was at the bottom of John St West Leedy in those massive storms we had a few years ago.

Mud wash and road contaminants through her house, shin deep and out to the backyard for an ankle high sludge pit.

There's a reason Feng fooey says to be above the street.

13. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Get some quotes for the build to ensure the additional build costs don't outweigh the money you save buying a difficult site. Undercroft garages are great but will set you back a pretty penny.

14. dan2101

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Larry larry here is one I did with my brothers at narraweena in Sydney. It basically finished now but I don't have any up to date pics in my phone sorry. Can get some if you like

larrylarry and AndrewTDP like this.
  15. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Looks pretty full on! Amazing location.

16. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Just got approval for one in Copacabana on the Central Coast and lodged another in Wagstaffe.

The one in Copa is for my mechanic. I'll get some pics of the build.

larrylarry likes this.
  17. larrylarry

18. dan2101

Lifesgood it was pretty full on. Fortunately the block developed on was basically 'free' as the existing house and land was purchased at market value due to most people being scared off by the complexity of the subdividable land. The driveway and excavation cost $120k to
    give you some idea of what was required!

Sure larrylarry. I'll keep you posted on when it's 100% finished. Just needs a clean up, bit of painting and a deck and it's done.

19. larrylarry

Thanks mate. I am really keen to hear from you about this project because I have a house on a sloping block and need some ideas...probably not as challenging as yours.

20. property world

property world Well-Known Member

Didnt your mindarie JV have a fairly solid slope on it @Westminster @Blacky any additional cost with this project?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia