sloping away from street blocks and storm water, victoria

Discussion in 'Development' started by GoOnAndTell, 19th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

So far we have always purchased mostly flat blocks with gentle slopes to the street (in vic you can discharge storm water into the gutter).

We are looking at a couple of blocks and I don't know where to start.
    1) Every day suburban block with a slight slope away from the street.
    1a) I am assuming we need to keep permeable% up, any guides?
    1b) does anyone have any ball parks costs for managing storm water on your own block?
    2) Really nice sloping block going down to a creek/wetland.
    2a) how can I find out if I can discharge to the creek?
    2b) like everything development I assume there will be a cost, does anyone have any ball parks on this?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

2a) you need to get an easement from council/owner of the creek and build your stormwater system in accordance with their guidelines (deferred commencement on your DA)
    2b) council will get the easement valued and you pay all costs

There may be other connections upstream so a pipe may be a short run or if there are no downstream connections you will need to build the entire pipe.

3. Mike Sargeant

Mike Sargeant Active Member

Is there no legal point of discharge from the property? Won't be disclosed on the contract if sale. So you may need to apply to find out or talk to the LGA engineering dept. If a single dwelling you may be able to discharge directly to the water course but could possibly be required to provide a detention system if it's a multi residential development?

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  4. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

Yes there is a legal point of discharge however i can't find out where in the contract of sale/section 32, beyond Monash council saying it will be in the lowest point of the property. I am assuming that the current discharge point won't be enough for 3 units worth of ceiling and driveways Vs the one house that is on there at the moment.

Cheers for the response so far. I am trying to find out as one the surface the money stacks up for a 3 unit site but we have to put a fair bit of money aside as it has a 1 in 5 drop away from the street. We also need to research a few trees as they don't appear to be native so there is a good chance they can be replaced.

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Don't know the area but if easy digging what about soakwells or a large one down the back/lowest point, have the lot run into it. What we do over here.

6. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Sounds like that an over the counter or telephone enquiry and response. You need to formally apply to the Council and they will formally respond with a specific legal point of discharge
    Check the s32 - is there no easement at the rear of the block - drainage easement?

7. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

1a Rescode - clause 55 and the building regs set out permeability requirements. Nothing particularly special just because of the slope

2a. You can't. You will connect your stormwater/drainage system to a legal point of discharge that the Council will nominate