Sliding Gate Repair/Replacement

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by bread_boy, 1st Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bread_boy

bread_boy Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,

Just wanted some opinions if I may:
    PM has identified the front sliding gate to my IP in LCC as 'almost unuseable'.
    Tracks seem out of alignment and there is no guide holding the gate up so could be a safety issue.

upload_2017-8-1_10-33-16.png
    upload_2017-8-1_10-33-5.png

Got a quote from the PM (prices inclusive of GST):
    • Supply/install new guide block $460
    • Fabricate new gate tracks + wheels $710
    Not sure if this sounds right/cheap/expensive.
    Unsure whether to repair or just outright replace.
    Does anyone else have experience with a similar issue?

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Are the tenants going to hang around? I would be tempted to rip it out and bin it when they leave. Gates only cause drama as they need maintenance and are not really any benefit for an IP.

3. bread_boy

Hey @Biz!
    Tenants are leased until Feb 2018.
    Nothing but trouble thus far (par for the course in lower socio LCC) asking for every little thing fixed meanwhile they sub-let to 2 separate singles :mad:

It's more the safety aspect I'm nervous about.
    Without a guide, if this things falls on a car or worse a kid, might be in a world of pain.
    But yes, best option is to rip it out!

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Get a handyman to tie it to the fence so it doesn't fall on someone, tell them this is temporary until you can get the part to fix the gate, tell them the part is coming from Germany or Sweden so it may take a while :( Then kick them out in February :p Once they are out - bin it :D

bread_boy likes this.
  5. bread_boy

Gonna see what the PM says.
    Problem is I've been told anything existing on the property must be in 'functional working order' so even if a handyman can tie it to the fence, it may not be able to slide.
    I'm thinking maybe just install the guide to protect myself against negligence and then rip it out end of lease.

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Do they have kids? The *******s have probably been hanging on it using it as playground ride.

7. bread_boy

Yep, 2 kids. And judging from the parents, they might wanna get used to those bars o_O

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Maybe get the PM to suggest to the tenant that you completely remove the gate in return for a $10 per week reduction in their rent until the lease expires next February. Make sure PM gets any agreement in writing.

Cheaper for you if you want to get rid of the gate. They can only refuse in which case you are no worse off.
    Marg

bread_boy likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That quote is BS.

The track appears intact, Gate hasn't dropped as the wheels look OK, it's Dyna bolted to the ground. There's a post preventing it from falling over, possibly will require a couple of roller guides. Get the agent to call another quote.

Stoffo, bread_boy and wylie like this.
  10. 8650

8650 Well-Known Member

Try automatic gates and doors at underwood. I have used them before and reasonably priced.

11. bread_boy

Thanks, will give them a go

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Jun, 2018
  12. bread_boy

Thanks Scott. Have asked my PM to get some other quotes to get it to a 'safe' standard.

If I can get it to be 'safe', will wait until the current lease expires and offer a new one at same rent without the sliding gate.

This is the ultimate plan... whether or not they leave :cool:

13. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Fantastic that your first priority is to get it to a 'safe' standard, that's the right mindset. These things can and do fall over. I pulled one down on myself in Ipswich once, checking whether it was safe or not.... it wasn't. SO much heavier than I expected!

As far as the permanent solution, sometimes we overthink these issues. The tenants might not have a major problem with the gate being removed, they're probably a bit sick of it by now anyway. Do they have a dog or are they safety conscious about runaway kids?

I wouldn't offer a rent reduction unless they got upset with the removal, in which case a skilled Property Manager can gently point out to them that they have a lease renewal coming up... and you might just be looking at ways to recover the cost of very expensive repair/replacement.

P.S. @8650 I'm going to steal that recommendation for a client at Coomera, thanks! My usual guys have dropped the ball.

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Jun, 2018
    bread_boy likes this.
  14. bread_boy

No pets but my PM has told me they are quite 'security conscious' and I know from experience they are super demanding.

Yeah, best outcome for me would be removal of gate without a rent reduction.
    Fingers crossed the market strengthens to improve my leverage.
    Not looking good atm but things could change by Feb 2018.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had a quote from the company who installed our sliding gate to replace the motor to try to halt the "hardly ever works" situation and the manual sliding we'd been doing for months. That company's quote was stupidly expensive.

I found another chap who did the whole job for considerably less. You could ask for a quote and you might find you don't need to spend as much as you think.

We could have just replaced the motor, but we chose instead to replace the whole lot (except the track) and got a new gate opener, new sliding rail, removal of old equipment, installation, receiver cards and four remotes for about the same as the old company was going to charge for just a motor swap. We pretty much have a brand new "everything" except the gate itself.

Maybe give them a call...

Access Control Technology on 0408 949 409

bread_boy likes this.
  16. bread_boy

Thanks Wylie, will pass onto my PM :)