Sliding doors are hard to slide

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by PropertyInsight, 25th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

Hope you can give me an advice

It is the 3rd times within 3 months to call handyman to be in a IP to repair the sticky sliding doors. It is costs as trademen charged between $300-$400 when they attended to repair.

I watched the youtube how to fix the sliding door rollers. It is quite easy. However, my IP is interstate and it is not worth to flight to the IP and repair the sliding doors by myself. Air fair is also $400+ plus my time + car rent. However, if the problem keep going, it is worth to be there once time and find out the exact problem and repair them permanently. Or replace the whole doors ???

What is your opinion?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Go back to the PM and tell them that the tradesman shouldn't be charging. He hasn't advised the slider is broken or at the end of its life, this is now the tradie's warranty, mustn't have fixed it properly. I have sliders which ate over 50 years old, other than adjusting the buffers & stoppers there's a couple of wheels in a track.

They haven't taken off the pelmet, checked the wheels/axle or rails.

bob shovel likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Replacing the wheels should fix the problem.
    Hard to understand why this has not already been done - what were you charged for on the invoice?
    Exception would be if whole door frame had warped in some way, but this should have been disclosed to you both the attending tradesman.
    Marg

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hard to say without seeing a photo of said doors, state of the frame, whether it is external (i.e. door to a balcony) etc

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Maybe pay someone local and trustworthy from this forum to attend with the PM to look see and report back?

The Y-man

6. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

We have done a couple over the last few years, on our PPOR and on one of our IPs where we do short term rentals.
    Its probably a good idea to check with the tenants that the rails are not filling up with sand .
    Youtube always makes stuff look easy.
    But I wouldn't attempt to do it by myself and a second pair of hands come in handy.
    Especially when putting a large glass sliding door back on its rails and if its a tight fit you might need a small pry bar to get it over the outer lip.
    Some older doors dont even have a manufacturers name on them , and there are about 3 different types of roller wheel setups.
    So untill you take the door off and inspect the wheel its hard to know which type you need.
    In some cases you might have 20-30 years of crap all jammed in around it and broken adjusters or a collapsed / worn or split wheel.
    It might just need a good clean , blown out with compressed air and some crc.
    Another issue is sagging frames which can stop the door going over the outer lip.
    An angle grinder can come in handy to slowly remove the offending area.

7. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

Thanks for feedback.