Slanted Floor - House on Bearers and Joist

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by neK, 7th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I have a property that is an older Victorian style house, built in the 1900's.
    Overall the house is in good condition, however in one of the rooms, the floor is slanted - not a big one, but enough to notice if you walk towards it (you can feel yourself going down hill).

Im not concerned about the stability of it, it has been like this since I bought the place close to a decade ago.... but I would like to get it fixed.

So my question is, who do I call to rectify this? In order to get to this part of the subfloor, it is most likely a manhole will need to be cut (which I'm ok with).

Last edited: 7th Apr, 2018
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

House stumper would be the person I'd call.

neK likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Call a carpenter or handyman. I discovered that a pier was missing and the joist was unsupported. I ended up putting in some bricks, fibro packers and an antcap.

neK likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

A simple way is follow the nail line in the floor boards where the defection in floor at the lowest point ,then if your in luck the low point may well be in the frame -- then you can work from outside..
    That way you can just jack up the low point from the outside,if the fall is inside then you may well have to cut a small section above the support post and repack the difference..imho..

neK likes this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF