QLD Slacks Creek or Deception Bay

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Proper Property, 27th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Which suburb will get higher capital growth in 5 years?

1. Slacks Creek

52.4%
  2. Deception Bay

47.6%
  1. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

The new Uni Precinct will be on a 200ha block right between Kallangur and Petrie.

Attached Files:

bread_boy likes this.
  2. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

There have been talks of adding a high school to the 200ha block of land for the the Uni precinct, but nothing is set in stone.

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yes, another high school there would be well received.

Labor offered to put in a TAFE and other training facilities there just before the election. I got the idea from re-reading their brochure that it is in addition to the uni but at first I thought they meant instead of a uni.

markson likes this.
  4. markson

markson Well-Known Member

With all the extra infrastructure going on in the Moreton Bay region it would be hard to lose money

[​IMG]

5. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

As others have mentioned, if it was $350,000 I would be going Slacks Creek. If the budget was $250,000 to $300,000 then probably more Deception Bay.

If you were looking in Logan, a more comparable suburb to Deception Bay would be Eagleby. Deception Bay is the cheaper end of Moreton Bay Council, just like Eagleby is the cheaper end of Logan.

Both areas will do well, depends more on the deal itself. If you can find a property, that has some equity on the way in, ability to add value and have a rental return ~6.5%, I would buy in either area.

Cheers,
    Michael

Magnet, Melissa, Rich2011 and 4 others like this.
  6. Ekin200

Ekin200 Well-Known Member

Hey RetireRich101,

Thanks for pointing out the flooding risks associated with Deception Bay. If you were looking to purchase another IP for 300k would you take Logan shire over the Moreton Bay region?

Cheers.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  7. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Yes

8. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Yes. Unless you get waterfront

9. Ekin200

Cheers.

I intend to read your posts on why the Logan Shire is a better bet than Moreton Bay.

10. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

For me, it wasn't a question which LGA is better. If Brisbane decides to boom, both will do well... For the current Sydney boom I was not able to differentiate which suburbs/LGA did better or worst...long term probably but a 3-5 year boom we all make money similar money.. I honestly don't know why we get in a battle fight over which suburb/LGA is has better growth.

I could be betting on ripple effects on either Gold Coast or Brisbane boom as it is geographically located in the centre of 2 cities... There are a dozen of suburbs that were previous belong to GC council, but have merged to Logan City council in 2008, making one of the few biggest council in QLD. I get off GC airport and take a rental car to Logan

Another element for my decision was the Logan Planning Scheme....I spent hundreds of hours studying up, and as I am more experienced in knowing what I can do with a lot in terms of development potential I did want to leave the city. I can locate a lot with dev potential without a BA..... MBRC new planning scheme gazetted in 2016 also had some good stuff worth looking at.

Angel and Ekin200 like this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

+1. General rule. If the price is the same or nearly the same, go for the home that's closer into the city. Long term, demand will drive it. Later on, the new home out in the outer area won't be considered shiny and new anymore.... just dated and needing an upgrade/facelift.

larrylarry likes this.
  12. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

We bought it $277K in Woodridge in 2014 and $265K in Deception Bay in 2015 with $8K reno. I think Woodridge would be worth $305K and Deception Bay $295K. Not much in it but I would pick Woodridge to move a bit quicker with infrastructure and population growth. Both would be good buys with Deception Bay being a lower buy in price right now.

Ekin200 likes this.
  13. Ekin200

Hi RetireRich101,

Thanks for the insight. Yes, you are spreading the risk by investing in Logan (if either GC or Brissie moves, then happy days). Good points and really appreciate it.

Talking about putting a bob each way, it may be worth purchasing an IP in Moreton Bay and another in the Logan shire.

14. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Deception bay could be great buy provided if right property is bought in the right zone with decent block size and super close to water ...

Cheers,
    Jazz Sidana

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Sep, 2018
  15. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

I would go heaps closer to the CBD -ie slacks creek .It is directly over the main M1 highway from springwood which is a central focus of growth that the government has tipped they will put a lot of work into (along with beenleigh and surrounds)
    I would pay $270-$290K for a highset with 2 bathrooms,reno for $15-$30k then revalue at $350K .Then rent for $400 per week .

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Remember these posts are 2016 and early 2017. Prices have changed since then.

17. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Thanks heaps Angel
    SC is still a good spot and you can pick up reno deals for that money -apra has definately effected it a bit as is a investor based area.still plenty of upside as rents cover costs or very close to

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member