Skylight

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by King, 30th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. King

King Active Member

hey guys. how effective are skylight? investment property is quite gloomy and not a lot of going into the old house. will skylight fix this issue? whats the cost? pros and cons?

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

The new tenants in one of my properties called the property manager last week. One of the lights would not turn off during the day and they had tried every light switch in the house to turn it off. They wanted an electrician to attend the property to sort this out as they were concerned the power bill would be excessive if not fixed. Sparkie rocks up and informs them it's a skylight and it therefore couldn't be turned off, wouldn't inflate their power bill. I instructed the property manager to pass the sparkies call out to the tenants which they promptly paid.

Wantone, larrylarry, dan_89 and 6 others like this.
  4. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@King

i am a big fan of skylight..

you can buy from bunnings but get licence trade to install it.. as if it isn't installed correctly it can leak.. damaging floor covering and roof.

Perp and Ace in the Hole like this.
  5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Yep, any roof penetration is doomed to leak if not installed and flashed correctly.
    Gotta be really careful here.
    Water leaks can be so frustrating to fix, best to do the job right the first time.

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just give the company below a ring,still Australian made ,some of the other OS made kits don't stand up to hail and sunlight and leak..

http://www.regentskylights.com.au/

7. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

We love well-lit properties! Nothing more depressing than entering a house in full sunlight only to be enveloped in gloom and dark. Watch for all lights on at the next open house you visit and it's sunny outside- clear sign that darkness and cold are likely to be endemic in parts of the property.

Whether it's a simple solatube or a custom designed fixed skylight (more attractive but costlier) I consider these a terrific value-add to many properties in making a significant difference to the overall feel of a room. We have several in our existing home, as it's a colonial style house with a verandah all the way around (great in all seasons for chasing the sun :D) and they've made a huge difference in light entry and warmth. The bathroom especially is so lovely to walk into a natural light well on a cold winters day. Happy renovating!

WattleIdo and Perp like this.
  8. Charlotte30

Charlotte30 Well-Known Member

Love a skylight. Have one in the bathroom in my own home. Quite magical to see a starry night. I have also installed these in the upstairs bedrooms of a renovation that I am currently doing as it is cheap way to get natural light into a room. I agree that flashings are critical around these windows to prevent roof leaks.

9. Flyingace

Flyingace Member

I'm considering a solar powered skylight like this.
    http://kimprod.com.au/illume/index.html
    Has anybody tried one of these? I didn't know they existed until I saw them on Better Homes & Gardens (than yours). If you have installed one how bright are they?

10. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

All the skylights I have seen have been frosted, care to post a pic, Charlotte? That sounds like something my wife would absolutely love.

11. King

King Active Member

great responses here! thanks guys! will make sure i get them done right the first time! :)

12. Charlotte30

Charlotte30 Well-Known Member

These are just standard Ve-luxe skylights that are available in NZ. They are double glazed
    , tinted and able to be opened. Will try and take a pic.

13. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

has anyone ever put skylights on a queenslander I noticed that they have very high pitched roofs

14. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

Will be adding a few to my place later in the year. Current place is one of those old houses that has had rooms tacked on and sunrooms closed in meaning rooms have ended up in the middle of the house (bathroom and kitchen).

Did anyone watch Reno Rumble? There was one or two or TEN skylights in each of those places. Looked great but having Velux as a sponsor helped...

15. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Put one in my kitchen 12 months ago as prep for renos. Huge difference. Needed lights on all the time when in there during day, afterwards its very bright and no lights needed.