Skylight quotes

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Gockie, 16th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi,
    I've got 2 quotes for skylights, which would you accept (or neither)? It's for the house we are selling. We are looking at replacing a 25cm round tubular skylight and enlarging that to be a 40cm in the kitchen (apparently with the beam placement doing larger than 40cm is not worth it). I have a quote for $895 and a quote for $980 from different vendors. Both are solid tubes.

The $980 supposedly brings in more light when the sun is low.
    The value of the home is ballpark $1.3 mill, some people might knock it down but I think its still entirely livable.
    Thoughts?

2. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

You're selling - first question id ask is whether its actually needed. Will current skylight turn people off?

Secondly, the more expensive one lets in more light when the sun is low - hold open homes when the sun is high. No one will notice.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

A few moments after posting (are they reading this forum?!) the more expensive one phoned me and asked me how I was going. So I told them of my dilemma and told them of the cheaper quote. A minute later they called me back and offered $850, so I decided to accept.

Re: Skylight, we are doing it off the back of advice from a real estate agent.
    She also recommended:
    * A full interior house repaint in some paint that supposedly brightens the place up (which we arent going to do, the current paint is perfectly ok to most people)
    * Pulling up of carpet in rooms and polishing floorboards instead (will do that, the carpet is old)
    * Home styling (will do)
    * Exterior house paint (doing)
    * Garden work (doing)

legallyblonde likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Go selective wall painting to brighten up any wear areas rather than repainting whole rooms.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia