Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Skirtings - what size, style, material?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Big Daddy, 29th Jun, 2015.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

I am renovating my early 90's B/T home 28c high with Cove cornices and wanted to know what is a good style and height for skirtings to match my cornices. Mostly carpeted bedrooms and TV room with tiles in kitchen. Can anyone give me some advice?

Size: 60mm , 90mm , ?
    Material: MDF , Pine (Primed)
    Style: Lamb tongue, Half Splayed, Bull nose?

2. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Match skirting to cornice.

Cove - Bull nose / pencil round
    Square set / shadow line - Square edge / half splayed
    Ornamental - Lambs tongue / colonial

66mm looks best in modern homes IMO
    92mm and above for character homes with ornamental cornices

Primed pine is going to take your painting 1 step closer to the finish line.
    Unless your one of the minority that really enjoys painting :)

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We use primed MDF that comes in a lovely shade of pink. Paint it all on a couple of saw horses then nail gun in and touch up the nail ends with paint. Soooo much easier than painting on the wall after they are installed.

Around the 60mm for 2.4/28 course ceilings would be ok. I don't think you'd need to go higher. I'd go for a simple modern half splayed style.

4. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Big skirting always looks better imo​

5. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

I put 66mm half splay in the house post reno except the cinema which I did 92mm

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

90 mdf half splay.
    depends on thelook your going for too, cheap and cheerful or something a little fancy.
    side note fyi.... im a big fan of not using cove, there are so many under appreciated cornices. give cornice a chance. im hoping to go viral

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2015
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Cove is the cornice in practically 90% of Perth houses. I like the Trio/Jazz cornices and put them in the living areas of my developments but they are more expensive - actually I should start thinking about cornices for my PPOR2BE.

8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Thanks all. Yes all the other cornices deserve a fair go and it's about time some one stood up to the Cove and gave it a run for its money.

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Im more of a boral guy myself. i like the 4 step and i also used the linear recently, gives a square set look(75mm). perhaps you could give it a whirl in the units your doing?? suits a smaller area i feel. photo doesnt do either justice

Id say east coast is the same for the love of cove. I was working for a plasterer, not really doing cornice more wall sheeting and setting and we went back to a job and the cornice was up and it blew my mind! being used to cove and knowing no different i unaware of the things out there in this crazy world... I was 19 and knew nothing of cornice prior to that either.

The price goes up dramatically as soon as you go to something different (+$6/m rings a bell). but just doing living areas can get the bang for buck.
    I did the 4 step in my place while i was working with old mate and once we rented the place out everyone commented on the living room. and the house was very average back then.

Attached Files: