Skip bins / rubbish removal in Sydney north shore

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by ozwanderlust, 5th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

Please recommend a skip bin or rubbish removal company for the Sydney north shore areas (Artarmon, Chatswood, Willoughby). We need to declutter / clean out our house: household items (no white goods - no bed), shoes, clothes, old plastic christmas tree, old garden cushions, plastic garden pots, coat hangers, and general rubbish. We are not sure if we need to hire a small skip bin or get someone to come and collect - from front lawn? We have just moved back into our home after a number of years living overseas. A relative has lived in our home but they are an accumulator. At our age, we want to live in a less clutter place. Thanks.

2. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

Depending if the stuff could be of value to people, a quick photo and post on FB marketplace may get rid of it

3. ozwanderlust

Thanks. Am not on social media so don't have facebook. Just want a quick way to get rid of stuff - so I can have my own clutter free space for my sanity.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If it is all mostly tatt, I’d get a skip delivered and load it up. Or are you looking for someone to do the work of loading it? If so, maybe get skip delivered and put a job on airtasker to do the carrying?

5. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

6. ozwanderlust

Thanks, wylie. Good idea about airtasker. I have not used them before but will try and see. I intend to put standalone items and other things in bags in the veranda and may be get someone to come and load them into their van or skip.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Depending upon How much you have, council has a free cleanup/collection service. You should be able to book online.

ozwanderlust likes this.
  8. ozwanderlust

Have booked via phone a free collection (only one per year - extra at cost) for 3 weeks time. Will see how much they will take - max 2 cubic meter. Hubby found a charity clothing bin near the shops.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Lane Cove does 4 IIRC & Innerwest do a few regular cleanups plus bookings.

10. ozwanderlust

Willoughby council does 3 free yearly collections + 1 free booked collection a year. I booked the free one for the end of this month (any additional requests will be extra costs), and will make use of the free (scheduled) collection in early September. But each collection is only max 2 cubic meter, and restrictions on what they will take.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I always smile when I see the things that people putting on their footpath consider fit within the cubic metre limit.

If you break things down and stack them well, pack things inside drawer sets etc, at least the stack looks more like it might fit the limit. I've never seen anything left behind, so I'm assuming the limit is a guide to stop people being too cheeky with the size of the pile.

ozwanderlust likes this.
  12. ozwanderlust

Update: booked the (one annually) free collection with Willoughby city council, then the stricter lockdown happened when all construction work stopped, the booking got cancelled. After the construction allowed to resume, re-booked the free collection a month later. Last Sunday evening, we put out broken benches, beach chairs, broken chair mat, broken swing with cushions and an old plastic christmas tree. Early monday morning I could hear the truck, then later hubby said everything was taken as if nothing was there (thankfully). The next scheduled clean up is 2 weeks time, so there will be more things to put out.