Siting Variation - BCC

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by jprops, 14th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Hi,

My IPs neighbour has emailed my PM asking me to sign page 5 of Neighbours statement. She has provided a plan for their renovation (which makes little sense to me), and no explanation of the works.

I always say never sign something you don't have to, so why might I sign this form?

Thanks,

Last edited: 14th Sep, 2017
  2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

If it is not going to affect your property value or amenity then you would sign it as a good neighbour.

jprops and Ed Barton like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Usually you are only notified if it DOES impact on you in some way - shadowing, noise, closer to boundary etc.

Check it out thoroughly. Usually your only chance to alter anything that affects you is before approval is granted, hence the compulsory notification.
    Marg

jprops likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In Vic it's standard to get neighbour's input this way. Doesn't mean it will actually affect you negatively. For example, if the building extends further into the front setback.

If you don't understand it, just ask your neighbour to talk you through it. If still confused, call the designer and/or Council.

jprops likes this.
  5. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll have to find out what impact it might have.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it's called a "siting variation" I would expect that the property is going to be extended closer to boundaries.
    Marg

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe have a good look over the plan and see if the footprint is going to change up or expand most do both these days. I signed off on a few like this for the title holder if it was fair and reasonable over the years,after all you may end up living there one day-and having good neighbours is like winning the lotto..