Site costs for sloping lands

Discussion in 'Development' started by ms420, 14th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ms420

ms420 Well-Known Member

I am looking to build my first house for owner occupier and no knowledge of construction costs or how to go about it so appreciate some insights. There are 2 lots I am considering.

1. Slightly sloping towards the back but 75k more expensive than #2.

2. Sloping twice as much as #1 and the slope is to the front of the house, however the slope is still not drastic.

Both lots are just 100m apart so not much impact in price due to location.

My question is, should I go for #1 as the site costs are reduced because of gentle slope though I pay $75K higher in price (and known upfront) or should I go for #2 as the front slope could be used to make it garage at lower level and level out the back with additional soil? So spend less on the land purchase cost? Thanks.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Have you chosen a builder yet?

If so, ask them about the effect of the slope on what you can build and how much it will cost.

significance likes this.
  3. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

This is a good idea - the variance is going to be very site specific so they'd be best placed to help. General rule is the less slope the better but it'll depend on all sorts of variables like stormwater etc.

4. ms420

ms420 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Should I be identifying a builder before choosing a site? Also, it would take longer to shortlist a builder and the land may get sold while I am identifying a builder- how do you normally go about it?

A separate question would be how do you go about identifying the right builder and check their prior work? For e.g., I was thinking of the big brand names like Rawson or Coral homes.

5. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

If I were in your position I'd want to at least have an idea on what rough numbers a build is going to cost before committing to a purchase. Appreciate you're doing it for an owner occupier and not as a profit making exercise but it would still be prudent to make sure you're not over-committing yourself.

You can ask the builder for a list of completed projects and WIP (some you may be able to inspect), as well as reviews and customer references. With those big guys you'd want to make sure you've got everything agreed in terms of finishes etc and minimize any variations.

ms420 likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've built on a few slopey blocks, some very slopey. Site costs really depends on a case by case basis but if you have a good design and engineering that works with the slopage, your site costs can be greatly reduced. I'd be very hesitant to pay extra 75k for lot 1 unless the slopage is a significant issue affecting SW etc. Best to get a builder or estimator to the site to give you cost ideas.

ms420 likes this.
  7. Ricky Ng

Ricky Ng Active Member

Its another one of those how long is a piece of string question. There are so many factors that can affect the build cost, and the first question is what construction method are we talking about as that can significantly fluctuate the PPSM. Other things that can affect is slope degree which can significantly increase scaffolding and access/handling etc. SW issues as you pointed sloping to rear which may come with additional statutory costs and requirements etc.

Sackie likes this.
  8. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Are both lots the same size and shape? If so the 75k sounds like a fair hike in price, I would check the contract to make sure the cheaper site doesnt have easements/sewer/water mains running through the block.

9. Gforce

Gforce Active Member

420, How did u go? Turn some dirt yet? Dial before you dig is a free underground asset service worth getting your head around.